Author Topic: Using short codes but getting media showing twice. And PDF showing as a video  (Read 1220 times)

meetpowerpress

Hello,
I've been able to use the short codes for custom channels but can't seem to get just the media files to show up on the page where I want them.

http://meetitalia.com/en/travel-phrases/travel-phrases-1-ciao-hello/
At the above link I just want that media files to be in this order
Learn

[powerpress]

Practice

[powerpress feed="travel-phrases-practice"]

PDF

[powerpress feed="travel-phrases-pdf"]

One more issue is with the PDF file as you can see a big black box for video is there instead of some graphic for PDF.

Thank you

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
[powerpress] displays both players. So if you enter [powerpress] and [powerpress feed="travel-phrases-practice"], you will first see both players, then the player for feed="travel-phrases-practice" again. So this is correct behavior.

You can set poster art for your PDF. It was requested by others in the past that way they could put their book/document artwork there. Go to PowerPress Settings > Basic settings, enable the "poster image" option.

meetpowerpress

Dear Antonio,
Thank you for the explanation.
Makes complete sense that the [powerpress] shortcode would be sufficient to show all elements.
Any suggestions on how I can clearly mark what is what on the page and also order the Podcast Elements?
Here is the page
You can compare it with the same page built with podpress
http://en.meetitalia.org/travel-phrases/travel-phrases-1-ciao-hello/

It is very nice to be able to set a poster image and have gone in Basic Settins and enabled
Poster Image    (Specify URL to poster artwork specific to each episode)

The image displayed does not maintain the original file proportions so it is rather ugly looking.
If I understand correctly I would have to add a link to the poster image for each PDF I add?
If so, is there any way to show an image for the PDF for all PDFs?
It is possible to do so in Podpress.

Thank you

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
The default video player poster image should do it. You need to configure the video player to see those options.

meetpowerpress

Thank you for your reply
The default video player poster image should do it. You need to configure the video player to see those options.
I believe you are referring to the PDF image.

I prefer not to use the Flow Player Classic as it is not HTML 5 compatible if I understand correctly.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for how to reorder the Podcast Elements and also clearly mark them with explanation.

Thank you

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Instead of teling m what podpress can do, why don't you go and look at all the powerpress settngs, read all the in those pages and perhaps you will see what podpress doesn't have that powerpress does, including 6 audio players, 3 video players, custom podcast feeds, true category podcasting, media find/replace tools, latest itunes attributes, embed options nd more. In the video player settings pages there's even a chart that explains what works in which browser.

meetpowerpress

I have read all the settings pages in Powerpress.
And am really astonished by the level of support in the video players.
Video JS is amazing and as soon as native subtitle/caption support is available powerpress and Video JS will beat JW player hands down!

6 audio players is also awesome and I am happy to be able to have this option. In the end I believe I just need one player with html 5 support as many listeners use mobile devices, but hey that is just my opinion.

Custom podcast feeds are also amazing! And they work flawlessly. Especially the premium access! Just a couple of clicks and I can protect my premium content, which podpress does not allow since a few version back when the feature was broken.

The media find/replace tools are something I am sure I would pay for when in a pinch and they already included! Awesome!
You might actually add this as a premium feature.

Latest iTunes attributes support shows how Blubrry is committed to being the best podcasting platform online!

I also believe having a PDF icon when a PDF is in a Podcast Episode shouldn't have been overlooked.
I've just added an ePub to see if that loads an ePub icon but unfortunately it didn't.
You can see the page here

In summary, I know how much better Powerpress is compared to Podpress or I wouldn't be writing here.
I wouldn't be spending time to set it up.
When I say podpress can do something I am hoping you can look at the code and maybe find it useful for powerpress, since I also give you a link to a page with the podpress content being served.

Please remember that as an end user all I am trying to find is the fastest and easiest solution to fill my needs.
That's all

Thank you

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Yep, just summarize what features you want and we'll put them on the features TODO list. The epub just became an option in itunes, give it time to get adoption. Not too many folks do pdf podcasts.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Is there a creative commons licensed royalty free logo for epub available? That's the primary issue with including a PDF icon image is it needs to be royalty free.

What are the feature requests specifically? I got eBook specific appearance settings and images for epub/PDF correct?

meetpowerpress

Hello,
Sorry for the very late reply.
Family matters diverted me from finishing my website.

Here is a nice PDF icon

http://www.gettyicons.com/free-icon/153/cute-file-extension-icon-set/free-pdf-file-icon-png/

Author states
This incredible free Pdf File icon is available in 64 x 64, 32 x 32, 24 x 24, 256 x 256, 16 x 16, 48 x 48, 128 x 128 pixel resolutions. Download this icon in ico (windows), icns (mac) and png (linux) file formats.

This icon is made by Hybrid Design. Hybrid Design will remain owner of this icon and you cannot sell it, but you are allowed to utilize this icon in your commercial and non-commercial projects.
So it should be alright to use I think.

Regarding the ePub icon,
I've found a rather plain one in this page

http://pfefferle.github.com/openwebicons/

There actually aren't many ePub icons on the net, or at least that I could find.

Thank you

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Thanks! I looked on Wikipedia.org and they have an epub image, but it's not licensed where we could use it. Kind of strange that ePub folks wouldn't want the logo to be used by others for this purpose.

meetpowerpress

I have searched some more and still no luck with the official logo.

I have found other logos you could use
http://blog.threepress.org/2008/10/07/epub-logos/

Have a good day!

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
I think this last epub image is a winner, will put it on my TODO list to get this added to PowerPress, possibly today.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
I got the images added, will be in the next release, possibly tonight.

meetpowerpress

Great news!

I've worked some more on the website.
As you can see here I've used three Powerpress Channels to get the podcast in the order I want.
Here is a quick explanation for others.

Make 3 Channels, then use the following shortcodes to embed the different channels in the order you want.
In my case
[powerpress feed="free"]
[powerpress feed="premium"]
[powerpress feed="pdf"]
Where free, premium, pdf are the slugs of the 3 channels I've built.

Since I also want to have a comprehensive category podcast feed (a feed for all episodes in a wordpress category) I also insert the free file into the default Powerpress podcast episode field, but then click on Do not display player and media links

If anyone has suggestions on how to make this easier, please let us know!