Author Topic: Facebook for Wordpress conflict  (Read 3290 times)

JBenjaminsson

Facebook for Wordpress conflict
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »
Hi, i just installed the "Facebook for Wordpress" plugin 1.0 and that made the audio podcast player, that's supposed to get added automatically, disappear. How do i get it back?

Todd

• Administrator
Re: Facebook for Wordpress conflict
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »
Load the default wordpress template on a temporary basis and see if it is still broken, if not then it is likely a theme issue. If it is still broken in the default wordpress theme then let us know. Facebook will likely be taking feedback at this point..

Todd.

handyguys

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:41:01 am »
Same issue for The Handyguys. Using Thesis Theme 1.8.4.

Player shows on HomePage posts but not in individual show pages. Also, when previewing new posts player doesn't show.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:55:42 am »
Please contact the developer of this Facebook plugin. It's most likely how they are filtering the_content vs the_excerpt.

Most themes use the_content on main pages and the_excerpt on home pages or search results.

handyguys

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:41 pm »
Reported at http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-facebook-plugin-conflicts-with-powerpress?replies=3#post-2896483

Please add anything useful for the facebook plugin developers there. Thanks

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »
I've contributed my findings and also included a way to test and verify that it is not PowePress by adding the following define to your wp-config.php you can have PowerPress add it's player after the Facebook plugin added it's content.

Code: [Select]
define('POWERPRESS_CONTENT_ACTION_PRIORITY', 31 );
You can also try the Fix Themes option under PowerPress Settings > Appearance tab. If this fixes the problem, then that means it's more likely a conflict with the theme and the plugins than the plugins themselves.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:24 pm »
handyguys / JBenjaminsson,

If you both can reply with URLs to pages where the PowerPress player used to appear but now doesn't that be a big help. Also, please make sure you're not using any WP caching plugins and can duplicate this problem. Something like this can also occur just because the WP caching plugin doesn't automatically update it's cache.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:19:59 am »
No need to send links, I audited the Facebook app and found the source to the problem in the plugin. It is calling the_excerpt() and get_the_excerpt() in the wp_head, which is a problem since they aren't supposed to use theme template functions at that point in the page loading process. I've offered to provide a patch, we'll see if they accept it or not.

handyguys

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:02 am »
Thanks - I can test the patch some night this week perhaps. or maybe not. Seems like a ton of other issues have been reported as well.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:22 am »
This patch will most likely fix a lot of problems with the Facebook plugin, as what they are doing is causing the loop to start way early in the page load, which causes all sorts of problems. You can imagine if all the other plugins on a WP site think they are supposed to add content to the page before the page is even loaded how that would be problematic in so many ways.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:18:50 pm »
I have a patch ready, please email cio [at] rawvoice.com, thanks!

ben curry

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 01:39:21 pm »
Hi,

My player has stopped automatically being added to the posts, I have to do this with the [powerpress] tags since the update.  Is this the same issue?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 02:11:53 pm »
Could be. The FAcebook 1.0.1 release that came out yesterday fixes the problem. If your still having the problem, try the PowerPress Settings > Appearance tab and try toe "fix theme" option. If this fixes it then it's the same problem caused by some other recently updated/added plugin or theme.

ben curry

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 02:23:17 pm »
I'm not using the facebook plug-in, but I will give the fix you suggest a try and let you know what happens