Author Topic: Podcasting custom post type  (Read 1555 times)

nerdyguy

Podcasting custom post type
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:52:57 am »
I've set up a custom post type to podcast my client's sermons, and everything is working fine on the site, but not the feed.

Of course, we can get a valid feed using ?post_type=lbbc_sermons, but from within PowerPress, the validate link wants to go directly to feed/podcast, and that does not validate because there is no valid page/category/slug at that url.

So, I set up podcast channels with only one default channel named podcast and entered the valid post url in the Feedburner Feed URL, set the proper custom post type, everything looks good (dashboard says there are 129 Episodes), but it still does not validate because the validator doesn't forward to my ?post_type=lbbc_sermons feed and therefore still sees a 404 error.

The feed is http://www.lebanonbbc.org/feed/podcast.

Am I missing something or will this still work for itunes?

Basically I want Itunes to read the feed of sermons only, and still have a separate feed for posts.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:58:46 am by nerdyguy »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Podcasting custom post type
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:01 am »
Your very close to putting everything together.

Go back into PowerPress settings > Podcast Channels, when you edit each channel you can optionally set each channel to a specific custom post type. Only the default podcast channel has to remain with normal blog posts, then you can associate each additional channel to specific post types so it's the only option when you edit those. So your custom post type will have it's own feed (mix of episodes and blog posts) and your channel feed associated with that custom post type will have it's own podcast only feed, so you end up with the best of both worlds.