Author Topic: Media URL reporting incorrect content type: application/octet-stream  (Read 5674 times)

ravnwolf

On certain MP4 video files, PowerPress throws this error.  So far, I haven't been able to determine exactly why it does it on some video files and not others.  At first I thought it might be size as the files I was trying to link to were over 1GB in size (around 2GB).  I trimmed them down and every file I'm trying with so far is under 1GB.  So far, one file works, the other one doesn't.  They were both rendered the same way. 

The files are hosted on Amazon's CloudFront, so I'm thinking it's an issue with how Amazon is handling the metadata tag. 

Here's a file that PowerPress doesn't have a problem with:  http://shows.anairo.com/southgeek/videos/SGRR-Uncut-TweetofThrones.mp4 (984.2MB)

and here is a file, uploaded today, that PowerPress throws the error with:  http://shows.anairo.com/southgeek/videos/sgrr_43.mp4 (904.1MB)

Anyone else trying to stream your video files off of a S3/CloudFront setup?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Media URL reporting incorrect content type: application/octet-stream
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:20 am »
You need an application that will set the content type in Amazon S3 when the file is initially uploaded. Otherwise S3 will treat it as a basic binary file, hence the content type application/octet-stream. I think Cloudberry explorer works correctly for this,whereas S3Fox does not. You will have to do some testing.

CloudFront just replicates what is set in S3.

PowerPress is correct to warn you about this problem, as application/octet-stream is incorrect and will limit what devices can download your media. Devices include most phones and tablets.

ravnwolf

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:42:56 am »
Thanks, Angelo.  I was just curious why one file would work and the other did not.  I'm uploading the files to my S3 area via Chrome and the regular S3 upload method.  I'll do some more testing to see what the different is between the two files.  The meta tag for each one is the same - application/octet-stream.

Update:  Oddly enough, I used the Cloudberry Explorer to upload the file to my S3 container.  It set the meta data as video/mp4, but my CloudFront link still threw the error.  However, if I used the actual S3 link, PowerPress took it with no problem.  It seems to indicate some strange CloudFront issue or something else I just don't quite understand yet.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:08:24 pm by ravnwolf »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:45:34 am »
Did you upload the very same file, or rename the file? I would recommend you read about how CloudFront works, it's a CDN and will cache files and attributes from a server, doesn't necessarily need to be S3 storage either.

The content type application/octet-stream is the problem. If you need us to explain this in great detail, we would have to ask that you pay us for consulting as what you want to do is rather niche. If you grow frustrated trying to manage your own storage/CDN setup, we offer CDN media hosting, learn more here: https://secure.blubrry.com/podcast-publishing-premium-with-hosting/

ravnwolf

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:40 pm »
Did you upload the very same file, or rename the file? I would recommend you read about how CloudFront works, it's a CDN and will cache files and attributes from a server, doesn't necessarily need to be S3 storage either.

The content type application/octet-stream is the problem. If you need us to explain this in great detail, we would have to ask that you pay us for consulting as what you want to do is rather niche. If you grow frustrated trying to manage your own storage/CDN setup, we offer CDN media hosting, learn more here: https://secure.blubrry.com/podcast-publishing-premium-with-hosting/

I uploaded the file again, different name, etc.  I do know how CloudFront works and what I'm doing isn't very niche.  I know at least one other TPN member that is doing what I'm doing; maybe I should ask him if he's had this problem before.  As for your CDN offering, I've looked into it.  I already do my own hosting on a VPS, which is where I've stored my files up until I started using S3/CloudFront.  Your pricing is a bit too high, IMHO.

Regardless, thanks for your time, Angelo.  If nothing else you've lead me to a great utility in Cloudberry.

Cheers.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:25 am »
You are taking a "I'm a programmer/administrator" route to hosting your media, that is why I said it is niche. 99.9% of the folks who read this forum CloudFront is over their head.

What you are paying for In My Humble Opinion is the convenience of a seamless uploading experience built into your WordPress blog via PowerPress tied to storage (like S3) and CDN service (like CloudFront). And top that with a consistent flat monthly fee.

Shoot an email in the TechPodcasts Google Group about how to set it up, I know a couple folks there have/are using CloudFront.

SteveWebb

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:19:44 pm »
This error just cropped up for the first time for me last night.

I decided to try an experiment. I found that if I uploaded my mp3 to Cloudfront without any ID3 tags, the file would verify with no errors. I then added data into the ID3 tags (BTW, I use iTunes 11.4 to do this, on OS X 10.8.5) one field at a time, re-uploading after each change. After adding Title, Artist, Album Artist, Album, Comments, Genre and Media Kind, I got no errors. It was only after adding my artwork (1400x1400) that the error occurred.

Any ideas?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »
AWS (which includes S3) is a resource primarily for developers, applications can work with it directly with programming talk. You are using it as a user, so you must be forewarned that nothing is guaranteed to replicate as S3 directly does not have user error handling like a polished application would. Remember, your trying ot use a service that is also used by many web applications like Netflix which wrap a user experience in front of AWS services.

My recommendation is to switch to an application like Cloudberry explorer, which will automatically set the correct content type every time you upload.

The web Uploader built into S3 will sometimes catch the content type, sometimes not. I haven't figured it out myself, but from what I understand it should be detecting it based on your browser sending that content type when it "PUTS" the file on S3. Here is the thing, content type is "meta data" in the world of S3, just edit the attributes of your s3 object (object is what it's called in s3, not file) and modify the "content-type".

SteveWebb

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:00:16 pm »
Thanks for your response, Angelo. I was able to edit the content-type via my ftp uploader and all is well.

I appreciate your recommendation to switch to Cloudberry Explorer, but as I'm a Mac user, that won't work for me. I'm using Cyberduck at this time.

Again, thanks!

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:57:32 am »
Also remember the 1400x1400 image only needs to be in your rss feed. You can use a smaller graphic size for inside your mp3. If you do use a 1400x1400 in your id3 tags make sure it is jpg.

Todd