Author Topic: "Special Podcast only Feed"  (Read 1938 times)

mpcee123

"Special Podcast only Feed"
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:55 am »
Dear Blubrry,

You have an amazing WP plugin...but I'm having a problem.

For one of my sites, the "Special Podcast only Feed" is displaying my main site feed, not the podcast-only feed that Blubrry normally fills in.

My site is http://www.kindredroad.com, with my main blog feed being http://www.kindredroad.com/feed. This "main blog" feed is what is showing as my "Special Podcast only Feed."

Why isn't http://www.kindredroad.com/feed/podcast/ showing up? That's what should be there, I believe....

Thanks for the help!

Mike

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: "Special Podcast only Feed"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:19 am »
Mike,

It looks to me like you have another plugin or your theme is generating your feed instead of powerpress.

I would try disabling plugins one by one and check the feed (be sure to clear your browser cache between attempts) and see if that clears up the podcast only feed.  If that doesn't work, try switching temporarily to the default wordpress theme (2010 or 2011) and see if the feed clears up.

Michael Dell
Tech Support, RawVoice Inc.
p:1.877.729.8642
twitter: mgdell
gtalk: mgdell

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:08 am »
The WP caching plugins cause this. I suspect W3 Total Cache.

mpcee123

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:38:03 pm »
1.)
It looks to me like you have another plugin or your theme is generating your feed instead of powerpress.

Mike,

You were indeed correct about the theme issue. There's a spot in my theme that asks for my RSS feed address (I don't use the functionality that keys off this particular field, though -- remnant of initial theme configuration), and sure enough, I had the address typed in there. I erased the address, and the proper podcasting URL showed up in the Blubrry plugin.  :) (In case you're curious, I'm using WooThemes' Canvas.)

Cheers!

Mike

2.)
The WP caching plugins cause this. I suspect W3 Total Cache.

Angelo,

I DO happen to be using W3 Total Cache, as well. I experimented with activating/deactivating the plugin, but I don't see any problems with it right now. However, can I expect problems later once I have everything set up? Is there a different a different caching plugin you would recommend?

Thanks so much!  ;)

Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:14:06 am »
The problem with the WP Super cache plugin in the past was caused by it both trying to compress XML code as well as adding its own comment at the bottom of the feed, making it invalid for applications like iTunes. So take a look at your feed make sure it's not compressing or adding comments at the bottom.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:14:52 am »
When I say look at the feed, I mean look at the feed source. Right click, select 'view source'.

mpcee123

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:06:11 pm »
Angelo,

Yes, I do see a commented section made by W3 Total Cache at the end of the XML feed. Does that basically guarantee that the feed won't work with iTunes? If that's the case, why are caching plugins so incompatible with Blubrry? They provide a ton of value for website owners....

Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:23:52 pm »
The dots don't point at blubrry. Your connecting the wrong dots.

The caching plugin is manipulating the feed. The feed then may not be consumed correctly by applications such as iTunes. When you connect these two dots, why do you say "why are caching plugins so incompatible with Blubrry". It has nothing to with Blubrry or our plugin. The comments at the bottom of the feed shouldn't be there, PowerPress didn't add them. Hopefully there's a checkbox or something in the caching plugin you're using to fix the problem, but it's not a problem that "Blubrry" needs to solve since "Blubrry" didn't create the problem in the first place.

And for that matter, it may not be an issue for you in particular, but time and time again it has been an issue for others and I'm giving you a heads up.

mpcee123

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »
Angelo,

Yes, I suppose ultimately the issue is between the caching plugins and iTunes. I connected the wrong dots.

Thank you for your feedback and assistance. It's good to have as many "heads ups" as possible when configuring things.

Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 09:51:46 am »
Hopefully with the caching plugin there's a way to stop it from compressing RSS feeds as well as stop it from including it's comments at the bottom of the pages.