Author Topic: Feed won't validate: Server returned HTTP Error 404: Not Found  (Read 4307 times)

digisavvy

Okay, I'm literally going to start bleeding from my eyes. For the life of me I cannot get my feed to validate: http://www.feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgadflyradio.com%2Ffeed%2Fpodcast%2F

Here's what I think you need to know
- I've tried deactivating all other plugins, but it still would not validate (the feed, that is)
- The feed is set using a Custom Podcast channel and set to a custom post type. Regular post type doesn't work either.
- I tried creating another podcast channel, but still this failed for me.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong, but your help is appreciated. The site is http://gadflyradio.com

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Feed won't validate: Server returned HTTP Error 404: Not Found
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:52 am »
Did you create any episodes yet? No episodes, then what you see is correct, your feed is 404 (not found) WordPress reports empty feeds as 404, and you cannot submit an empty feed to podcast directories. It's the chicken before the egg problem, sort of speak.

digisavvy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:50 am »
Angelo, thanks for the reply. I have 48 episodes already. So I'm still not sure why this is happening.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:02:03 pm »
I just tried (gadflyradio.com/feed/podcast/) and it's refreshing to a FeedBurner.com feed which has no podcast data in it. Remove the FeedBurner setting in PowerPress settings (Feed settings tab) then see if it clears up the problem. If you want to use FeedBurner and still have this problem, you will need to go to www.feedburner.com for help.

Learn more about podcasting and FeedBurner (why it's not necessary) here: http://www.podcastfaq.com/syndicating-your-podcast/feedburner-for-podcasting/

digisavvy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:29:32 am »
Hey Angelo,
Thanks again for the speedy reply. I've done as you suggested and modified the Feed Settings to not use the Feeburner feed, which is fine. Yet validating still givs me the exact same issue, regardless. I did try wiping plugin cache as well, to see if that was causing an issue.

The thing the error seems to indicate is

Sorry

This feed does not validate.

Server returned HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Now, the error does seem to indicate that there's a problem with an itunes Image, stating it has a 404. I'm sorta at my wits end for what to do.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:31 am »
Strange, can you reply with a link to one of the posts with an episode attached?

Have you migrated your site to another server recently maybe? Perhaps something has happened to your postmeta table, where your episode data is stored.

digisavvy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:32:17 pm »
Hey Angelo,
Thanks again for taking time to help me. =)

Here's a link to a page with a podcast embedding using powerpress: http://gadflyradio.com/podcasts/gadfly-radio-feb-28-2012/

You bring up a good point on moving to a new server. Within the last month this site has been moved, I believe twice. It's been at its current host provider for at least three weeks, I believe. I used the backupbuddy plugin to backup and move the site to the new server.

Regarding meta information, is there some way to update it so that we can force the feed to validate? I think we're close on resolving this. =)

Thanks.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »
I see no episode player on that page.

I have a feeling backup buddy did not copy over the postmeta data.

I recommend you contact your web developer/server admin who you paid to move your site and have him/her get the original database tables re-imported.

Typically a database export and import is all that's needed, along with file transfer of the wp-content folder and wp-config.php. Any experienced WordPress expert will know what database settings need to be updated after migrating a WordPress site.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:06:02 pm »
Sorry, I spoke too soon and ignore my last reply. The podcast data is there, something is causing the feed to think there are no episodes present. I have a feeling a plugin that modifies your feeds in some way is causing the issue. Try disabling plugins in the reverse order you've added them until your podcast feed comes back. Make sure you disable WP caching plugin first if you have one enabled, as that is the most common couplet in cases like these. Once you figure out which plugin it is, please reply on this thread so others in the future will be aware there could be a problem with that plugin.

digisavvy

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:09:33 am »
I created the Custom Post type using a plugin called WP-Types at http://wp-types.com. If I disable that plugin, I will have no podcast posts. However, I did disable all other plugins and I was still having the same issue. I'll open a support request wtih the wp-types team and see if they can help; I'll report back here as well.

digisavvy

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:18 am »
Turns out PowerPress was giving me the wrong Feed URL. This validates - http://HTTP://GADFLYRADIO.COM/PODCASTS/FEED/

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 01:57:53 pm »
The example.com/podcasts/feed/  (/podcasts first, then /feed/) indicates to me that you are using a category or custom post type with name "podcasts". That would explain a lot. Once you create a custom post type with the same label as what PowerPress wants to use, WordPress uses the custom post type's instead of PowerPress's. Same problem occurs if you create a category with slug name 'podcasts'.

Just keep in mind that you are now dedicated to using that wp-types plugin, if you ever have a problem with the wp-types plugin and have to disable it, your podcast feed may also disappear.

digisavvy

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:01 am »
Thanks for clarifying that for me, Angelo. I appreciated your support on this matter. =)