Author Topic: Submit Feedburner RSS to Itunes???  (Read 2846 times)

podcastman

Submit Feedburner RSS to Itunes???
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:19:48 am »
I'm about to submit my podcast to iTunes for the very first time.

1) Do I submit my feedburner feed or my powerpress feed to iTunes???

2) In my Blubrry account, under:  General Program Settings> Feed Settings > Feed URL, do I insert my my feedburner url there???

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:32:44 am by podcastman »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Submit Feedburner RSS to Itunes???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:51 am »
We do not support FeedBurner.com. So if you want our help in the future, don't use it. You don't need FeedBurner for podcasting since you using PowerPress. FeedBurner was the solution back in 2005, since then podcasting has been supporpted directly in WordPress with plugins such as PowerPress. You can use our podcast statistics service to measure audience engagement. FeedBurner's feed reading statistics doesn't mean anything anymore now that services like Google Reader, Google Listen or iTunes cache the feed for multiple users.

podcastman

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:34:22 am »
Angelo,

My question is not one soliciting support regarding feedburner!  My question is and was:  what feed to I submit to iTunes, powerpress or feedburner"?

Powerpress has 2 different places wherein it allows one to input feedburner rss url. So hince my questions seeking clarity.

If you can not answer this question, to avoid such inquiries in the future from me or others, I would suggest that you have all references to feedburner immediately removed from within powerpress.

Thanks

We do not support FeedBurner.com. So if you want our help in the future, don't use it. You don't need FeedBurner for podcasting since you using PowerPress. FeedBurner was the solution back in 2005, since then podcasting has been supporpted directly in WordPress with plugins such as PowerPress. You can use our podcast statistics service to measure audience engagement. FeedBurner's feed reading statistics doesn't mean anything anymore now that services like Google Reader, Google Listen or iTunes cache the feed for multiple users.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »
1) PowerPress podcast feed (do not use feedburner)
2) PowerPress podcast feed (do not use feedburner)
3+) Any other podcast directory/service, use your PowerPress podcast feed (do not use Feedburner)

The answer is an opinion of mine, and it is use your PowerPress feed and don't use FeedBurner. The reason is (read my last reply). If you use the Feedburner feed, then you can't ask us for help in the future, because we aren't FeedBurner.com and we can't fix problems FeedBurner typically cause, plus the things we used FeedBurner.com for 7 years ago are now handled quite well with WordPress and WordPress plugins.

Perhaps you want me to answer a different way, if so please reply with the answers you are looking for and I'll pick one.

Regarding "Powerpress has 2 different places wherein it allows one to input feedburner rss url. So hince my questions seeking clarity. ", where do you see these options? There's only one place where you can enter a FeedBurner URL in the PoewrPress Settings, and it requires you to have either "Category Podcasting" or "Podcast Channels" enabled. When you edit a podcast category or podcast channel in PowerPress Settings, the option to enter a Feed Burner URL is availabe under the "Feed Settings" tab titled "FeedBurner Feed URL". This is a direct implementation of the Feed Smith plugin FeedBurner created back in 2006, which has seance been discontinued and is no longer supported. So even if you do use FeedBurner, there's no need to use this option as it is mainly for folks who know what they're doing.

For clarification, the setting "FeedBurner Feed URL", is just a convenience option that will redirect your podcast feed to that feed burner URL. So when someone clicks on example.com/feed/podcast/ they get redirected to feeds2.feedburner.com/example_com_feed. If the redirect is performed with a 301 redirect, it is permanent and thus tells all future requests to your current URL to use the new one. It has dyer consequences, it means you are giving control of that feed address to an external host/service. There are folks already dedicated to FeedBurner, so the option is there. But if you're new to this, don't just hand over your feed to FeedBurner without having a good reason to do so. This setting also includes below it a special feed URL called "Bypass Redirect URL". This is here so you can give that to FeedBurner to pull from. Otherwise FeedBurner will go into a loop pulling itself (pulling example.com/feed/podcast/ and ending up at feeds2.feedburner.com/example_com_feed). I'm pretty sure this is why FeedBurner killed the Feed Smith WordPress plugin, because it caused more problems than it solved.

Please reply with these other 2 fields your referring to so I can clarify what they are for. They shouldn't have anything to do with FeedBurner.

Lastly, pick 1 feed and stick with it. Don't inner mix different feed URLs. Your feed is like your mailing address, once you give it out, folks are going to refer to it for years and years to come. So if you give out feed A to iTunes and feed B to Bluibrry, then you could have the possibility of different data appearing on Blurry than on iTunes. You could also end up with someone subscribing to your feed from Blburry in their copy of iTunes, and then they could have a double subscription because the subscription from iTunes doesn't match their original subscription from Blubrry. Furthermore, having the feed hosted on your own domain name has true value, not just for SEO or brand recognition but it also gives you complete control, you can change from WordPress to what ever the new thing is 10 years from now without having to hope the service like FeedBurner works with it or not. All this stuff applies for blogging and podcasting. Remember podcasting is just an extension to blogging, so becoming a blogging expert means your just an audio/video file away from being a podcasting expert.

Please understand that my replies are for everyone who reads the forum. They are overly-thou, and though you may not need all this explanation, the 2,000 others who read this will need the explanation in detail.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:14:15 pm by angelo »