Author Topic: Media Embed not working out of Youtube  (Read 1805 times)

Teri7

Media Embed not working out of Youtube
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:21 pm »
Hi,
I'm on the most current version of WP and my theme. I can't seem to get the YouTube embed code to work on the post. I just want to be able to post my videos I have there as a podcast one by one. Is this possible? Is this what the Media embed is for? I've set up a Category based feed on this site.

http://www.soulsecretservice.com

Thanks,

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: Media Embed not working out of Youtube
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:24:51 am »
You need both a Media URL and a media embed. If you only put an embed (with no media), then it will not be interpreted. Put it this way, the Media URL is required, then you can add all the other attributes optionally such as the embed.

Teri7

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:44:38 am »
I've tried 2 different ways to get this to work and I must really be missing something — I'm trying to get a category based video podcast to work off my site.

1)I put both the Media URL and the embed code in the POST but it erases the embed code and the link to the poster image when I save.
Here's a link to a post here: http://soulsecretservice.com/2011/12/10/bill-purdy-%E2%80%93-my-kinda-blues/

I would prefer to just embed off Youtube, is that possible? The media link I am putting in is a link to the video on Youtube. When I click the Blubrry video screen in the post it takes me to YouTube. Will this work o.k. for Itunes?
Could this be the problem?

2) I loaded the m4v file to my server and then the icon just spins and never plays. Also the file won't verify.

I have updated to the newest version of the plugin.
Sorry I'm new to this. Thanks helping a beginner.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:11 am »
If your putting a video embed into the "Content Editor", you are then using the "WordPress" methods for embedding video. WordPress by default will modify the embed to most of the popular video sharing sites including YouTube. This is outside of PowerPress's control.

If you use the PowerPress Episode entry box to enter your video embed, PowerPress stores the embed information so WordPress's native system does not modify it.

In order to successfully add an embed in PowerPress, you first need to enable the option by going to PowerPress Settings > basic settings, and make sure for the episode entery box section "embed" is checked, then click save.

Then, follow the directions as Todd replied, make sure you add both a media URL in the "MEdia URL" field and your embed in the "embed" field.

Here's a picture of the Episode Entry box:

linuxpcplus

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:29 pm »
I've tried 2 different ways to get this to work and I must really be missing something — I'm trying to get a category based video podcast to work off my site.

1)I put both the Media URL and the embed code in the POST but it erases the embed code and the link to the poster image when I save.
Here's a link to a post here: http://soulsecretservice.com/2011/12/10/bill-purdy-%E2%80%93-my-kinda-blues/

I would prefer to just embed off Youtube, is that possible? The media link I am putting in is a link to the video on Youtube. When I click the Blubrry video screen in the post it takes me to YouTube. Will this work o.k. for Itunes?
Could this be the problem?

2) I loaded the m4v file to my server and then the icon just spins and never plays. Also the file won't verify.

I have updated to the newest version of the plugin.
Sorry I'm new to this. Thanks helping a beginner.

This seems kind of dumb to me. I mean, what the hell is the point of embedding the youtube video if you still have to upload it to your server anyways? That means you have to upload your video twice: once to your server, once to youtube. Talk about a monumental waste of time & extra work! Seems to me you should be able to either embed a youtube video without the media url or that the youtube url should work as the media url. So instead of spending an hour uploading my vids, I have to spend 2+! Stupid & hell of a hassle!
By the way, posting on this forum is a pain in the ass! Why do I have to answer the damn securtiy crap if I am already logged in! Ya'll really like to make folks take extra steps don't ya?

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:16:41 am »
We have a lot of folks spamming this forum, hence the security to create an account.

You will not find YouTube content on iTunes, as YouTube cannot inject advertising into this content.

As far as YouTube and uploading is concerned, when you upload to YouTube, your media is then only available on YouTube or via a YouTube video embed (see last paragraph for why). If you go no further, which you can do, then you are not podcasting. At that point all you are doing is posting video on YouTube and putting the video on your web site. If this is all you want to do, then great.

In order to "podcast", (Aka syndicate your media to podcast directories such as iTunes), you need to upload the mp4 video somewhere (other than YouTube).

You can "podcast" and not be on YouTube, and you can be on YouTube and not podcast. You can do both as well.

linuxpcplus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 02:51:54 pm »
Fair enough. I don't really like the answer, (even if it is correct), but I see what you mean about it not being podcasting. Still, I wish podcast networks would make such streamlining possible. But I get that is out of Blubrry's control.

One thing I would like to point out though, just as food for thought: not ALL podcaster post to iTunes! I despise Apple & all it represents (same for Microsoft), so I my Podcasts will NEVER be seen on itunes! Yes, I know that limits my audience somewhat, but I must choose my conscience over my popularity. There are plenty of great podcast networks out there with MILLIONS of users. Besides, while many Linux users (my primary target audience) do use iTunes, a large percentage do not.

As for the spam issue, I understand that as a website owner. But there are more user friendly ways to manage spam than having to enter security check EVERY TIME THEY POST. May I reccomend combining Akismet & Wanggard? That is wht I do & while some Spam does get through on a rare occassion, it is truly rare.

myriad_of_ideas

• Myriad Of Ideas
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »
Evening. 
So I have been using a conjunction of Embed Plus and You Tube to post my videos.  That said, a few weeks ago I purchased the blubrry.com Media Statistics (see my email address for purchase history) and now I would like to track the video posts (in addition to the podcast mp3s that I have been pushing to iTunes and RSS).  So, I know that we need a redirect (http://media.blubrry.com/myriad_of_ideas/p/myriadofideas.com) set up on the file, but does that do it automatically for the embed?  I know it does for the Blubrry player.  I don't see a HD functionality that YouTube provides, SO I'm sorta lost here.  I know I said a bunch of things, so what would you recommend as my solution?  So A) I get my videos fed into iTunes B) RSS and C) have a YouTube presence.  With the ability to track everything through Blubrry Media Statistics.  Please advise.
Thanks!
Darren

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:22 am »
Blubrry Statistics does not track video sharing site downloads. Video sharing sites host the player and media on their own web sites. It's pretty much impossible, by design, for 3rd party services to measure what is happening on those sites like YouTube.

Most all video sharing sites provide their own statistics, you should be able to use their login to find such data. It will not equate to podcast statistics, video sharing sites have the ability to track playback and other behaviors, where podcasting you cannot monitor everything the user does with the media once it's on their iPad due to privacy concerns.