Author Topic: Second podcast  (Read 1295 times)

grouplifeguy

Second podcast
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:42:48 pm »
Hey,
I've got a podcast setup with powerpress hosted on blubrry and everything works fine. It goes into itunes just like it is supposed to. I enabled category podcasting and set up a second category because I want some different podcasts available to different people. I made a post with a test podcast in that category. This new podcast in the new category shows up in the itunes feed which I do not want. I am assuming that I need to customize each channel with it's own information but I'm afraid to mess with the main feed since it is working.

My ultimate goal is to have 4 podcasts that look like this:

1. Podcast 1 with mp3 files with only them in an itunes feed
2. Podcast 2 with mp3 files not in an itunes feed
3. Podcast 3 with mp4 files with only them in there own itunes feed
4. Podcast 4 with mp4 files not in an itunes feed.

I'm not sure what the next step is. If you could help that would be great.
Thanks for a great plugin and hosting service.
Michael

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Second podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:09 am »
Michael,

If you separate feeds for your different formats / uses of your media files, the best bet is to NOT use category podcasting but use podcast channels.   Todd made a video about how that all works. You can watch it here:  http://www.powerpresspodcast.com/2011/05/11/using-the-podcast-channel-feature/  I think that channels will do exactly what you want to do and everything will stay separate.

-Mike

grouplifeguy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:04 am »
I set up a channel and that did exactly as I wanted. Does it matter what I name these channels? Or can I use the word podcast in each channel name. I wondered if there were any best practices you would recommend so channels don't interfere with each other. Also, is there any limit to the number of channels I can set up?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:02:33 am »
You can use the word Podcast in all of them as long as you use something else in the name too.. Like "mp4 podcast" and "mp3 podcast" "itunes mp4 podcast" and so on..  Whatever you want them to be called is fine.  Just can't have 2 the same name.

There is no limit as far as I know for channels.  Notice, each channel will add another podcast episode box to your wordpress post template and you have to put the media URL into the correct box for the feed you want the file to go out on.

-Mike

grouplifeguy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:49 pm »
Super thanks!