Author Topic: Moving from Libsyn to blubrry.  (Read 5106 times)

adamhann

Moving from Libsyn to blubrry.
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »
Hi, I'm going to be moving from Libsyn hosting to Blubrry hosting. I currently have about 80 episodes of podcast from the past few years that I'm going to be moving. Currently, Libsyn sends my feed to iTunes for the podcasts. This is the address: http://saturateonline.libsyn.com/rss

So, my question is, how do I move my files to a different server, and update the iTunes adress without breaking anything? Thanks for any help!

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Moving from Libsyn to blubrry.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:32:18 am »
Do you have your own wordpress blog to power your podcast once you make the move? (highly recommended).  If that's how you are planning on doing it, you would setup powerpress on your wordpress blog, and then make the move in hosting ( you will want to have a month or 2 overlap in service between libsyn and blubrry hosting) .. then move your episodes.  You will have to start out with a higher limit account to get your back catalog of shows moved over.  After they are all uploaded to blubrry, you can downgrade your blubrry account to what you need per 30 day period.

Once you have made the move and your wordpress / powerpress feed is good to go, contact libsyn and ask them to put a 301 redirect for your feed at libsyn to the one you have on your own blog.  They have been good about doing that in the past but I can not speak for how they do things currently.

Then in your powepress settings you will want to make sure you have filled out the itunes tab with your itunes ID.  I tunes will see the 301 redirect at libsyn and then switch over to your wordpress feed and your subscribers on itunes will not miss a beat.   You will also want to mention in your show that your feed is changing so that the listeners that do not use itunes will know to change over from the libsyn feed at a certain date.

Whenever you make changes like this, it's best, if you can afford it, to leave both services in place until you are completely established on the new service.  That way you will loose as few subscribers as possible.

-Mike

adamhann

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:33:01 pm »
Mike, thanks for the help! Yes, we are using our own wordpress blog to distribute the podcast. We have a dedicated server for our blog. We were looking for a better podcasting solution. We love how you can do the whole process in Wordpress with the powerpress plugin.

So, the main question I have, do I need to republish the back catalog podcasts on my blog so that when I switch over the iTunes feed they don't disappear from iTunes?

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:48:15 am »
Yes, you will have to have the back episodes (or as many as you want to be available in itunes) re-published on the new site and in the new feed.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »
If your moving to a platform like WordPress, you can import your feed, which saves you time.

adamhann

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:03:44 am »
Angelo, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Do I just do the RSS feed importer on wordpress?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:47:43 pm »
Yes. Just make sure you have a link to the media in the post content, and WordPress should convert those media URLs into enclosures. If not, use the import option in PowerPress Tools. If LibSyn does not put a URL to your media in your description tag of your feed, then reply wit your feed URL and I'll take a look.

adamhann

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »
Ok, I moved all of my posts over to Wordpress, I have uploaded as much media as I can for the month to link to the back posts.

Here's the link that iTunes is forwarding to now, given to me via PowerPress Plugin: http://saturateonline.lcbcchurch.com/feed/podcast

Here's my iTunes store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/saturateonline/id304017102

iTunes updated, my image changed and description changed, but it's saying I have no episodes.

Help!?!?

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »
Your itunes feed shows no episodes because your feed redirects to a feedburner feed that doesn't contain any enclosures. 

We can't directly support feedburner.   If you have a plugin that redirects feeds to feedburner, you need to turn those off and then "burn" your feeds directly at feedburner..

We can not troubleshoot any feed problems because we can't see your wordpress feed with the redirect in place.

-Mike

adamhann

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »
Mike,
I didn't realize my theme was redirecting my feed like that. I had already done a 301 redirect in Libsyn to that feed, which then probably bounced to feedburner when iTunes was updating. I've fixed the feedburner redirect but will I have to redirect iTunes again? Thanks!

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 09:52:44 am »
At Feedburner, you should have feedburner be pulling http://saturateonline.lcbcchurch.com/feed/podcast  This feed as the enclosures (podcasts) in it. 

The feedburner feed that itunes is pulling has no podcasts in it. (http://feeds.feedburner.com/saturateonline)

Either something at feedburner is pulling the podcasts out of the feed or you have it pulling another feed.   If feedburner has the correct feed and it's stripping out the episodes, then you will have to contact them for help.  Your powerpress feed is working correctly.

-Mike