Author Topic: Changing website feed address with 301 redirect?  (Read 4335 times)

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Changing website feed address with 301 redirect?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 09:35:06 am »
Chris,

iTunes is pulling the correct feed (the one you redirected to).   

What you need to do next is go into your powerpress settings and make sure "Podacast Channels" are enabled (checkbox at the bottom of the settings page). 

Then go to "podcast channels" in the left sidebar under powerpress and highlight the default channel and click edit.  In there, you need to fill out both the itunes and feed tab. In the feed tab, change the name of the feed to what you want it to be and put in all the graphics for your podcast.  This might take itunes a little while to update your listing but you should be all set.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 11:10:26 am »
On some pages of iTunes, it displays the artist title. So go into PowerPress Settings > iTunes and change the artist field to something else, or leave it as is.

The other pages use the RSS description or itunes:subtitle. You can edit the description by going to your WordPress settings > Reading and edit the tagline field. iTunes subtitle is on the same page as your other iTunes fields including artist.

I confirmed by looking up your ID 372257397 on iTunes, that iTunes is pulling http://chriskresser.com/feed/podcast. So this is good as far as your listing on iTunes.

Important though is that any past subscriptions in iTunes desktop applications will still be pointing to the old feed. Very important though, you need to find out what that old feed was and redirect it to your podcast feed (or set the itunes:new-feed-url setting in the old feed to point to the new one).

This is my guess, and I may be wrong, but I bet you originally submitted the main site feed (http://chriskresser.com/feed) to iTunes, which looking at it now would explain why only 1 episode appeared in your feed. iTunes only displays posts with media, so the other media items would have disappeared. Just as a precaution, I would go into your old blog and in PowerPress settings set the iTunes new feed URL to http://chriskresser.com/feed/podcast. If you have any friends subscribed to your podcast, you may want to check with them if they only see 1 episode, or if their subscription updated and has the last 10 episodes correctly.

switters

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 01:10:35 pm »
The old feed I submitted to iTunes was thehealthyskeptic.org/feed/podcast.  As I mentioned, that was redirected via 301 redirect to the new feed http://chriskresser.com/feed/podcast.  Shouldn't that have solved the problem?

I can't go into my old blog, because it's the same as my new blog.  The only thing that changed was the domain name.  It's the exact same Wordpress installation.

Once I unsubscribed from both podcasts in iTunes, and resubscribed to the new feed, I didn't have a problem.  I haven't had any complaints from listeners (I average about 30,000 downloads a month), so I wonder if they figured it out too?

I'm not even sure how to access the old feed ( thehealthyskeptic.org/feed/podcast) because the site doesn't exist anymore and it's automatically redirecting.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »
As long as it is redirecting with a 301 (not 302) you're all set. Not sure what happens with your local subscription, it may be that you first manually subscribed to your podcast with a slightly different URL in your own copy of iTunes, then subscribed again through iTunes directory. I believe the manual subscription method trumps the subscription done through iTunes directory.

switters

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 03:15:19 pm »
Something still seems to be wrong.

If you go to iTunes, and then search for "Chris Kresser", and click on my podcast, only episodes 7-16 show up.  Episodes 1-6 are not appearing.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:32 am »
I'm seeing all 16 plus and interview about heartburn in the itunes store. 

Remember, if you make a change to your feed, it may take Apple a week or more to update your store listing.

-Mike