Author Topic: Time to upgrade to 2.03, Two podcasts category casting, adding a video podcast  (Read 918 times)

homeservershow

Hey blubrry,

I'm currently running 1.0.13 and very happy with it so I have yet to upgrade to 2.03.  I have two different shows on my site and am using category casting for each.  Stats of both shows go to one blubrry account.  Here is what I would like to do.

Upgrade to 2.03.

Add a video show to the same post of audio podcast #1.  So there would be a .mp3 and have a separate feed in iTunes for a video podcast.  If that's not the correct way let me know as I've yet to do a video podcast.  Can you setup a separate category for the video podcast and select two categories in the WordPress post and publish it?  Would it go to both feeds?  If not I could probably do the video as a separate category as I'm sure the post production on the video is going to take longer than the audio production that I do.  Of course, keep audio podcast #2 as a separate category.

I would also like to split the two audio podcasts I have today into two different blubrry stats accounts if possible.

Thanks for help and clarification before I jump into this!

Dave
homeservershow.com

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Dave,

To do what you want, you may have to make a few changes.   

First, you can not have a video and audio in the same post by just using category podcasting.  What I would do is setup a podcast channel for each of the audio podcasts and one for the Video.  That way, you can make one post, put the audio in the audio podcast media URL area and put the video in the Video podcast episode box (there will be one for each of your channels. 

As for the stats.  The only thing is with having multi podcasts off one wordpress blog is you have to put the redirect URL in the podcast episode box manually for each stats account.  Also, in the Services & Stats tab in powerpress, take out the redirect URL (leave it blank) If you don't, every podcast episode no matter what channel will have your redirect URL you put there.  We are working on getting it so each channel will have it's own redirect but this will be in a future release of Powerpress.

If you change your current category feeds to a podcast channel, make sure you have your iTunes URL in the new channel and set the new feed URL in the itunes tab of your cateory podcasting area to the new feed.  Itunes should pick that up in a short time (a few days). If it doesn't, then look at a 301 redirect (search this forum for how to do that)

Hope that helps!
happy podcasting!
-Mike

homeservershow

Thank you Mike.

That doesn't seem too difficult to switch from category casting to channels.  I'll probably change to channels and run a few podcasts through first to make sure it's ok with the stats.

Your last paragraph.  Your talking about the new feed for the video podcast right?  The audio podcasts that exist today will still be able to use their same iTunes info?  I just have to setup a new iTunes URL for the new video podcast.  Hopefully, that is what you meant.  I don't really want to start messing with iTunes since it's working.

Dave

homeservershow

I finally understand what you were talking about in that last paragraph.  I started looking into getting this rolling and remember that my iTunes feed for the audio podcast is http://sitename.com/category/podcast/feed/  So I would have to redo the feed.  I've never published with channels so I don't even know where to begin with the feed.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
In the channels setup, it will give you the feed address... It will go something like this:  yoursite.com/feed/channel_name

-Mike