Author Topic: Setting up podcasts via godaddy site  (Read 1963 times)

beattitudes56

Setting up podcasts via godaddy site
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:50:50 pm »
Hi I just need clarification of how to set up the power press on a wordpress site.  The main site is a wordpress install and is located at http://www.uneed2know.info the podcasts are on a godaddy server at podcasts.uneed2know.info
On the wordpress end I need the episodes to show up as posts in wordpress - so do i need the rss feed link or a direct url link to the file? should the url in the advanced settings be set to podcasts.uneed2know.info

What is ultimately supposed to happen is each episode will show up as a post on a blog page on the site with the show information, a player and a link to download.

thanks in advance - burning the midnight oil on this one...

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Setting up podcasts via godaddy site
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »
Yes, you would put the URL to the file (http://podcasts.uneed2know.info/example.mp3) assuming you are putting the files in the root folder of your podcasts.uneed2know.info site.  In the powerpress setup, you would put that address (without the mp3 file) in the default media url block in settings. (podcasts.uneed2know.info) Then you can just put the file name in the podcast episode media url block when you make a post.  Make sure you hit verify before you publish.

-Mike

beattitudes56

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »
Thanks but it doesnt seem that the files are going into a root directory the links im getting from the files that are being uploaded via their uploader look like this:
http://media.podcastingmanager.com/3/7/5/2/9/300922-292573/Media/070511%20Carson%20Meehan.mp3  which is causing the links not to validate and i can't use them as post entries until i get this figured out.

beattitudes56

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:26:03 pm »
chiming in again from what I have been able to figure out from the docs and faqs you should be able to put in the url to the server where the podcasting files are actually located and then when you go to post you should only then have to type in the file name.  What is confusing is the url for the podcasts is podcasts.uneed2know.info but when you copy any of the links from the files that have been uploaded to godaddy you get a string like in the previous post. Which string should be the one that is plugged into powerpress?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:04 am »
You can ignore the warning PowerPress tells you though, and just click publish, but we put the warning in there for a reason.

Anytime you see a %20 within the URL, it means there is a space (or some other non typical character) in the file name. PowerPress gives you those warnings not to include odd characters/spaces because many applications have problems with them, particularly web based players and a handful of other podcatching apps. Easy fix is to rename your media files with _ in place of spaces. e.g. 070511_Carson_Meehan.mp3