Author Topic: Broken HTML5 Player on Droid phone: Can we force Flash player to Android phones?  (Read 3391 times)

chadbush

I'm using the 1PixelOut Flash player on my Podcast for audio, which falls back to the HTML5 player on iPhone and iPad. However, people using Android mobile devices can't play my audio directly. They see a single Play arrow, and upon clicking, it starts to download the audio rather than play it. I'm guessing this is the HTML5 fallback player, and that at least some Droid devices can't handle it.

I love having the HTML5 fallback for Apple mobile devices, but it really sucks that it means Droid users can't play my audio directly.

Is there some way to force Powerpress to serve the same Flash player (1PixelOut) to mobile devices that DO support Flash (such as the Droid) instead of the HTML5 player, while still serving the HTML5 player to those that don't (iPhone, iPad)? Which part of the plugin controls the user agent sniffing and serves the appropriate player to each device? Is this something the Blubrry team might fix? Or can at least get some guidance as to how to hack the plugin to make it functional across all popular devices?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
In my testing with my Droid 1, it seems that is just the way android works.  For some reason I've not been able to force it to do flash.

The files always play, they play in the music player app instead of on the page.  I tried all the different players. I don't have any other android device to test, so maybe some of them work differently then the one I have.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Android 2.2 and older is a problem, unfortunately Flash doesn't work all that well on those versions either.

Android 2.3+ for audio works 100% of the time, and Android 3.0 (We tested on the Xoom) plays every HTML5 video we threw at it.

Android is still maturing, In another 6 months to a year we will most likely not have these issues with Android.

chadbush

Thank you all for the information. I don't have an Android device, but I have friends who have shown me what happens when they try to play my audio on their Android devices, and I thought there was a problem.