Author Topic: Media URL - Redirect and a file path not appearing.  (Read 1137 times)

homefries

Media URL - Redirect and a file path not appearing.
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:04:56 am »
Hi

The field for 'Media URL' does not pre-populate with our statistics redirect.

The only thing in that field is the media file name.  No other path for stats or other Blubbry address.  Just the filename only.

If I fill in the other details (like stats redirect and file path) i get a 403 error. 

I then posted the file to our CDN and put the stats redirect in front, and it worked fine.

Is there something we broke?  Is there a way to bring this back? We recently reset our cache and updated our PowerPress plugin.  (because of the issue we were having yesterday with not being able to select the files).

Sorry, we have been posting a lot of issues.

I have been happy with this plugin and the Blubrry stats and hosting.   But this is the second night in a row we have resorted to using our Rackspace account because it just worked. For us, that defeats the point of the integrated Blubrry hosting solution.  I am sure it is something we have done.  But this plugin is the only thing that keeps breaking in our workflow.   Also, this is happening after all of the recording and other posting is done so it's just frustrating to be held up at the very last step.   If we did not have the CDN alternative, we would not be able to post at all until we got answers here.  (thank you for your prompt thorough replies, by the way)

We have four shows, and a CDN backup.  We have figured a lot of the tricky technical stuff out.  We would just like the Blubrry elements to work as well as they did for us on the first day. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Media URL - Redirect and a file path not appearing.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:38:08 am »
Okay...

The field for 'Media URL' does not pre-populate with our statistics redirect.

That is correct, PowerPress adds the redirect on the players, download links and in the feed for you. So you will not see it in the media URL, and it should not be added into the Media URL field of powerpress. This way when PowerPress is verifying your media, it is doing so with the pure URL, minimizing possible complications/errors.

Code: [Select]
The only thing in that field is the media file name.  No other path for stats or other Blubbry address.  Just the filename only.
That is correct, if you are hosting with us. When you click 'Publish' for your blog post, that media file will be moved from a private upload area on blubrry.com to a public URL, and the URL will be set in your episode at the time of publishing.

If I fill in the other details (like stats redirect and file path) i get a 403 error.

Read my first answer above, DO NOT ADD THE STATS REDIRECT URL HERE, LET POWERPRESS ADD IT FOR YOU IN WEB PAGES/FEEDS.

I then posted the file to our CDN and put the stats redirect in front, and it worked fine.

That will work because your CDN immediately makes the media file public. Same holds true for most FTP services. Remember, Blubrry offers you a service that is charged based on how much media you publish in a given 30 day time period. It is to your advantage to only "publish" your media files when the time is right, otherwise you will run out of storage.

Is there something we broke?  Is there a way to bring this back? We recently reset our cache and updated our PowerPress plugin.  (because of the issue we were having yesterday with not being able to select the files).

Sounds like you just need to click 'Publish' in your blog post, or if it's already published, just click 'Update' to save your post.

Final thoughts:

The work flow designed with PowerPress with the publishing is meant to help you. If you just want to make a media file live the minute you upload it, we can activate FTP access for your account. If this is the case, please submit a ticket at www.blubrry.com/contact.php requesting FTP access, specify your program's title, your email address in the submission.

I will give a word of caution using FTP, you're giving up the "publishing process", and at that point Blubrry is essentially identical to any other CDN service as far as hosting is concerned. You will want to grasp the concept of "Publishing Media" to truly harness the power and time savings of Blubrry Media Hosting as well use of the ID3 media file tagging features.

Todd

• Administrator
Re: Media URL - Redirect and a file path not appearing.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:40 am »
One of the reasons that we do not publish a media file as soon as you upload it, instead only when you hit publish in wordpress,  is that a lot of podcaster want to publish on a schedule. They will set the post to go active at a certain time in the future. This keeps the media file private up to that publishing time so that if you are under NDA lets say on a product announcement or something similar. It guarantees your media will not be downloaded prior to the publishing time..

So essentially when you upload the file, we put the media in a holding pin till you hit publish and then when you do, the media gets moved to the cdn and is publicly available.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:39:48 am by Todd »