Author Topic: Category casting: Adding a new podcast to my lineup  (Read 1060 times)

xibxang

Category casting: Adding a new podcast to my lineup
« on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:40 pm »
Hi all,

I've been using Powerpress quite happily for two years now. When I initially set up, I input my podcast information into Settings/iTunes and also I set up a category with the same information. I'm not sure if I needed to input the setting into both areas (would that cause my stats to read double download figures) but since things are working, I never though to change them. My first question is was this the right way to set up?

However, I'm about to add a new podcast to my site's lineup which lives on a different iTunes Subscription URL and will be treated as a separate entity. It'll come under a separate category in WordPress too. I've read previous threads regarding adding another show through my Blubrry account too and I understand how to go about doing that.

What I'm sticking on is adding another category or rather, what do I do about the podcast information that I had initially input in Podpress' Settings/iTunes section. This kinda relates back to my first question: should I have filled out both the settings/iTunes information as well as adding a category with the exact same settings? Does filling out the "main"part in override any categories that I add?

I hope this makes sense. I had never thought about filling out the same information twice until the idea of incorporating a new podcast into my site. Many thanks in advance.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Category casting: Adding a new podcast to my lineup
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:09 am »
See the email I sent you today.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Category casting: Adding a new podcast to my lineup
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:57 pm »
The PowerPress Basic Settings apply when no other setting has been set for a specific category. More important, if you do not add "Category Podcasting" to the specific category, the defaults you enter in PowerPress > Settings are used. If you didn't have PowerPress do this, then you wouldn't have anything podcast related in these category feeds.

On the opposite token, you definitely want to spend the couple minutes and add "Category Podcasting" to your category feeds you submit to places like iTunes. Two very important aspects doing this with PowerPress:

• The Title of the Category feed can be completely customized with PowerPress. If you don't use PowerPress, the Category will be in the format of "Blog Title » Category Name", which isn't necessarily desirable.
  • The iTunes cover image, as well as other iTunes attributes, can be completely different than your main podcast feed, giving you the power to brand your category completely differently.

I would go ahead and edit the category feeds (Add Category Podcasting to both) for both your old show, and your new show, just so you are managing both feeds in the same way in PowerPress.

As far as Statistics are concerned, if you add a redirect at the category level, it will only be applied to the category feed. Remember, your audience can stumble upon your blog posts on your blog whether or not they are in a particular category, for this reason the global redirect is used since we have no idea which category, if any, a web visitor intended to view the podcast episode/post in.