Author Topic: mp4 Video but no audio in player  (Read 7929 times)

thehowling

mp4 Video but no audio in player
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:09:42 pm »
Running a video using an mp4 file. When playing on an iphone, it works great. When playing on a desktop with Firefox and Explorer, audio plays after buffering the entire file but no video shows up. Quicktime 7.6.9 is present on the desktop machine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.silverandbluesports.com/2011/04/05/video-coach-ault-from-practice-6/

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: mp4 Video but no audio in player
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:02 am »
We are passing this onto some folks who make video, but I believe the answer has to do with a combination of the specific settings in the media file and where it is hosted (if the server supports byte serving/chunking/partial downloads).

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:37:24 am »
This is completely on hoe you encode the video. As a rule I have been using .m4v as they are essentially the same as .mp4 in every way except when encoded they are designed to be viewed progressively aka they will buffer for 5-6 seconds and then start to play. Do some searches on streaming encoding .mp4/.m4v which may help you with the encoding settings.

Todd..

TK

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:45:32 am »
I have Roxio VideoWave to edit, produce & export my videos, BUT there is NO specific output setting relating to .m4v.

I export as H.264 ( which does produce a .mp4 extension ) and upload this file to my website hosting site. But it doesn't stream - i.e. start to play after approx. 5 secs or so. It takes mins and by then the visitor leaves my site as they think something is locked up, defunct, etc. etc

Roxio help is useless - no mention of different file formats which one can use for streaming.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15:22 am »
TDK - This page may help you out.  There are some links to free programs that you can run your .mp4 file though and it will put the proper tags in it for it to stream.  It's worked for me.

http://www.podcastfaq.com/creating-podcast/video/h-264-mp4-m4v-tips/

-Mike

TK

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »
Sorry, but I tried & they weren't very helpful.

But after further searching, reading, ... I still think if BluBrry wants to be the "one stop turn-key solution", then the conversion into streaming (progressive) mp4 format should be done automatically whenever I post a video blog into my post & publish. Currently I use Vimeo, BUT it doesn't come thru in my iTunes syndication. Everyone knows how BIG syndicating thru iTunes is.

So if BluBrry is listening, think about doing that. Just have a switch when posting - "Create Streaming MP4 format - Yes/No "

Will keep listening ... and reading ... ;)

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:31 am »
We're not a one-stop shot for streaming, we are for podcasting though.

If you want your video to stream, you need to use an application or service that makes it stream-able.

How about you link to your media so we can see what's wrong, it may be that you're not even using the correct codex.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:17 am »
Just got your private message.

I got the impression you were paying us for media hosting, but I now see you are trying to host this video media file on your own web server. We have no control of your web server, there's not much we can do for you unfortunately.

Essentially 2 things are needed: 1) The file is saved stream-able, see Mikes comment above how to do that and 2) The service you use to host the media can serve the file stream-able, which means it supports multi-byte range requests and byte serving.

Our paid media hosting service does serve the media stream-able, but we do not touch your media files. Our service is pure, meaning what you want us to serve is what we serve, we don't modify it in order to save costs.

I also downloaded your 233Mb video, and it still not optimized for streaming. You'll need to re-go through the steps, or do a Google search to find instructions how to make your video stream-able or re-review the link Mike posted above to see what you did wrong.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:36 am »
Also we are trying to save you coin, but you can always buy QuickTime pro, which will allow you to convert mp4 to streamable format.

You can also test your web service by obtaining a streamable file else where and uploading it to your server to test with.

TK

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 02:40:28 pm »
OK. Getting Closer ... ;)

I purchased QuickTime Pro, as suggested.

Voila - My video starts to play within seconds - BUT - only audio comes thru - NOT VIDEO.

There is a post where someone had the opposite - VIDEO but no AUDIO

I have AUDIO but NO VIDEO.

What can I try? I believe the BluBrry Video settings say to adjust size until video is visible. This happens wether I open directly on my web page viewer OR open in separate window.

Will try a few different adjustments but any tips welcome ...

TDK

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:44 am »
Is the file still an mp4?

TK

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 11:45:52 am »
Yes, it's still an MP4

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »
Does video display when you play in a desktop player such as Windows Media Player?

TK

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »
Yes. But as soon as I post the video thru the BluBrry player, then it does NOT.

This happens for both the player and the "Play in New Window" button.

I have also tried several different window sizes for the video player, as BluBrry recommends in the Video Player settings in their WordPress Plugin.

That is why I am posting/asking BluBrry for help !

Again, I can't be the first to see this. Though, I am surprised no other users commented. Many viewed my post but no one replies or adds any info they may have ;)

I am also using the CLASSIC Player for maximum compatability.

TDK

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 11:46:45 am »
Please email me the link to the video, if you don't feel comfortable linking to it here.