Author Topic: Where does iTunes feed description come from  (Read 1871 times)

patrick24601

Where does iTunes feed description come from
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:33:00 am »
The description showing up in my itunes podcast http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/focus-consulting-training/id413721797 and the description showing up in my XML are not what I have filled in for the iTunes description in the plugin.

<!-- podcast_generator="Blubrry PowerPress/1.0.13" mode="advanced" entry="advanced" -->

<itunes:summary>Podcast of the Focus Consulting Wild West Online Marketing show broadcast every Sunday and Monday over the air (Fm 94.1) (AM 94) and over the web at KTLR.Com. Visit thatradioshow.com for more information.  </itunes:summary>

iTunes and the XML match, but neither match what I have filled into the plugin

Where is the plugin getting this information?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Where does iTunes feed description come from
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
The Feed iTunes is pulling is http://allaboutfocus.com/feed/, which when navigated to, redirects to FeedBurner. You will need to contact FeedBurner for support since they are modifying your feed further.

What plugin are you using to redirect to Feedburner?

patrick24601

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »
Feedsmith. But that doesn't do anything with the iTunes description. In the XML comments right there it says it is coming from:

<!-- podcast_generator="Blubrry PowerPress/1.0.13" mode="advanced" entry="advanced" -->

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »
FeedBurner does manipulate feeds. Stop using FeedSmith so we can look at the feed directly from your blog.

patrick24601

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:46 am »
Last night I removed feedsmith, made sure my feed was coming from the site, and pinged iTunes. Their description is still wrong.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:37:40 am »
I can see in the feed looking at the source that the itunes:summary is now different. (So don't use Feedburner, it is doing something).

iTunes will take 24-48 hours to pull new information, and sometimes that is not until you also release a new episode/media file. Give the ping 24-48 hours, then if it still doesn't update, release a new episode. If it doesn't update in 24-48 hours but the new episode appears in iTunes, then something else is wrong, and you will want to contact Apple.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:40:51 am »
So we are clear, the feed (not at feedburner) displays the following:

<itunes:summary>Weekly podcast of the Focus Consulting Wild West Online Marketing show broadcast every Sunday (2pm CT) and Monday (10am CT) over the air (OKC FM 94.1/AM 890) and all over the web at KTLR.Com. Visit thatradioshow.com for more information.  Text &#039;wildwest&#039; to 69302 to keep up with timely show info, news, and contests.</itunes:summary>

Which is different from:

<itunes:summary>Podcast of the Focus Consulting Wild West Online Marketing show broadcast every Sunday and Monday over the air (Fm 94.1) (AM 94) and over the web at KTLR.Com. Visit thatradioshow.com for more information.  </itunes:summary>

BTW &#039; will translate to a quote " when in iTunes.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:07 pm »
As of 3pm eastern, iTunes now has your updated summary: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/focus-consulting-training/id413721797

patrick24601

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »
You are correct Angelo. Thanks for the help.