Author Topic: Moving podcast from my web host to Blubrry  (Read 5065 times)

jackwarr

Moving podcast from my web host to Blubrry
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:59:54 pm »
I've been using my web host to store all of my media files (MP3 podcasts primarily). The downloads will grow enough this year where I'm sure I will need to move them to a host designed for this -- libsyn or Blubrry most likely. I like things to be easy, and since I'm using all the Blubrry plugins, I'll probably just go that direction. I'm sure there's probably an answer to this somewhere on the forum, so please direct me to that link if that's the case.

Here's my question: I've got everything set up quite nicely right now with my files on my web host. I've got Blubrry Powerpress controlling everything and all episodes are showing up nicely in iTunes. How do I make the transition as seamlessly as possible if I move my media (and add new files) to Blubrry hosting? Are there step by step directions somewhere? Will there be anything special I need to consider for the 18 episodes already out there that I will be moving?

Thanks in advance for the help, folks.

Jack
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:06:37 am by jackwarr »

jackwarr

Re: Moving podcast from my web host to Blubrry
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:33 am »
I guess the primary question is how to change the RSS feeds without fouling things up.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »
IF you are using powerpress and you are using your site's feed for itunes and other directories, the transition will be a non-issue.

Your feed will not change. 

Once you are setup on blubrry hosting, we will move 1gb of your files to blubrry.com for free.  (you need to request that once you are setup).  Then you will want to go back and re-link your files in wordpress to the ones on blubrry. 

-Mike

jackwarr

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »
Thanks, Mike. That sounds fairly seamless. When you say, "relink your files", how exactly is that done? Do I actually change an RSS feed in the Blubrry settings page or do I just validate again?

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:01 am »
To relink your files, you would go into each post and "edit podcast episode" and then link them to the blubrry.com file instead of the one on your webhost.. You won't have to do anything with any feeds.

Clear as mud :) 

This is, of course, after your files are uploaded to blubrry.com hosting.

Let me know if I can help more.

-Mike

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:49:59 pm »
*** Update ***

Blubrry will no longer support transferring media files from another service.  Please keep this in mind if you are going to order our hosting plans.  You are free to manually upload your past shows to your hosting account as quota and time allows.

Thanks!

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:06:03 am »
Only exception of this is if you're currently hosting with LibSyn or PodBean, we still transfer the first 1GB of media from those 2 services.

lhastings

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 05:31:35 am »
I've been using my web host to store all of my media files (MP3 podcasts primarily). The downloads will grow enough this year where I'm sure I will need to move them to a host designed for this -- libsyn or Blubrry most likely. I like things to be easy, and since I'm using all the Blubrry plugins, I'll probably just go that direction. I'm sure there's probably an answer to this somewhere on the forum, so please direct me to that link if that's the case.

At the moment I have one web hosting account and I also store my media files there. At the moment there are so many media files there and I am also planning to switch prospectively to host which is designed for such purposes. I think I will also choose Blubrry because some friends of mine are already using it and they are very satisfied.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:29:03 am by angelo »

Doldrectich

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:55:16 am »
Hello everyone, I am new to podcasting. I am a little confused... Do using Blubrry mean that I will not need to use Feedburner? What is the difference (if any) between the two? Thanks,
Neal Stevenson,
[LINK DELETED]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:31:28 am by angelo »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:07 am »
Please start new threads in the future, and please refrain from adding links to promote services, your question posted into a very dated conversation combined with the link you had at the bottom was flagged as spam.

FeedBurner and Podcasting: http://www.podcastfaq.com/syndicating-your-podcast/feedburner-for-podcasting/

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:33:16 am »
Feedburner is no longer needed for podcasting.  It *might* have been back in 2005 when this all started, but it's not anymore. 

Read this blog post on the subject: http://www.powerpresspodcast.com/2012/09/29/feedburner-podcasting-powerpress/

Others may say that feedburner is still useful, but it hasn't been updated since 2007 or so and no longer has all the itunes tags for Apple's new podcasting specs.

Hope this helps!

-Mike