Author Topic: 1.0.12 [podcast] short code support not working  (Read 1960 times)

carlos

1.0.12 [podcast] short code support not working
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:43 am »
I was very excited to see that in 1.0.12 you added:

-Added shortcode support for 'Podcasting' plugin's [podcast] shortcode.

..however, on my old posts that contain that old shortcode, now there is no player displayed in the body of the post. Before, it displayed the PowerPress player, plus displayed the old [podcast] shortcode in plain text. This was awkward, but I wasnt willing to go back through hundreds of posts and remove the [podcast] insert.

Now, however, there is no audio player at all (in these older posts), and no short code.

Any tips?

Thanks for a great plugin!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: 1.0.12 [podcast] short code support not working
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:55:35 pm »
Can you reply with a link to your blog so we can investigate?

carlos

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »
Sure -- the category archive of post for our podcasts is at this URL: http://news.health.ufl.edu/category/multimedia/health-in-a-heartbeat/

You can see that the newer posts have the new PowerPress player working perfectly.

But, go back a few months, and youll see posts with no player in them at all. Those are the posts that have [podcast]url to mp3[/podcast] embedded in them.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:38:22 pm »
Okay that last detail is key. The URL specified is the problem, I'm looking into it.

carlos

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »
Thanks Angelo.

The URL is somehow interfering with your shortcode function?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:03 pm »
No actually the problem is that in 1.0.12 we look for the podcast shortcode, and if it's found, we assume that the player is already taken care of. If you put the URL in the middle (this is a pre WordPress 1.5 behavior), we don't process that, because we assume it's handled by the shortcode, but then on the opposite situation, the shortcode isn't processed correctly because it's using a pre WP 1.5 logic.

We're removing the podcast shortcode check, which means PowerPress will still add it's player to the top/bottom of posts, and the shortcode is still processed when stand-alone. Essentially, the next update will fix your problem, though not perfectly. Anywhere you used [podcast]http://www.example.com/path/to/media.mp3[/podcast], the shortcode will be removed, and then PowerPress will add it's player and links either above/below your posts. If you just enter [podcast] without the URL, PowerPress will put the player and links in that position.

carlos

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:32:54 pm »
Thanks Angelo -- this sounds like it will solve my problem perfectly, actually.

All of my legacy shortcode use follows the format: [podcast]http://www.example.com/path/to/media.mp3[/podcast]

Any ETA on the release for this? Just curious.. thank you for the assistance!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:52:32 pm »
By Christmas, because after this update, I will be merging in the new features for version 2.0 during the Christmas holiday.