Author Topic: Can't verify the media link in post.  (Read 2248 times)

jmajor

Can't verify the media link in post.
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »
I've tried several different ways to verify the media file, both by putting the entire url into the post, as well as adding the directory to the PowerPress settings section and only the file name in the post.  Neither work. All I get is a 404 error. I've checked the URL and the file is fine. I've emailed a diagnostic report to cio [at] rawvoice.com
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:32:29 am by angelo »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Can't verify the media link in post.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:37 am »
Looking into the problem, thanks.

neilreid

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:22 pm »
im having the same problem....

Ive just installed the powerpress software and im using a theme called... arras.

Thanks.

Neil

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:17:34 pm »
Did you run the PowerPress > Tools > Diagnostics, and verify that your server can handle the Verify feature?

richschmidt

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:39:34 pm »
I get this same problem whenever there's a space in the name of the file.  If I take the spaces out, it verifies.  Otherwise, I get the 404 error at the top of the New Post page in WordPress.

This is with files that are viewed just fine in the browser, ftp client, and iTunes.  They're a couple years old from when I briefly used PodPress.  There's nothing wrong with the files.  The problem seems to be with Blubrry PowerPress.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:20:29 pm »
PowerPress should give you a warning if you use spaces or other non-standard characters.

We put the warning in there for a reason. There are applications out there that will either not download or not properly play files with odd characters. More important is when someone puts a question mark or a asterisk in their file names, but even spaces are problematic. The biggest problem with spaces in particular is with JavaScript based widgets found on sites like Facebook or other blogs. Spaces need to be replaced either with a + sign or with %20 encoding.

Short term fix (permanent fix for reliable media download and playback), don't use spaces or other non-standard characters in your file names. There is a long term fix in the TODO list for PowerPress to allow you to enter what ever you want without the 404 errors or warnings, but you will need to check a setting and acknowledge that if anything goes wrong with your audience not being able to download your media that the PowerPress plugin is not liable. Expect the option in PowerPress 2.0.

richschmidt

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:07:35 pm »
PowerPress should give you a warning if you use spaces or other non-standard characters.

It does.  But since the files worked just fine for years, with no complaints, I ignored the warning.  But then PowerPress gives me a 404 error -- which is simply inaccurate, as I can view the files just fine in every other program I've tried -- and refuses to attach the files.  Which means my only option at this point is to rename all the files to remove the spaces, as you suggested.  If I want to use PowerPress, anyway.

BTW, thank you for your thorough response and for confirming that this is something PowerPress is doing on purpose.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 03:54:54 pm »
You can continue to use a Media URL that PowerPress does not recommend. It's a warning message, you can ignore it.

The 404 Error means that your server is unable to retrieve the URL you entered for what ever reason (there can be many, including incorrect DNS settings, a Firewall, new traffic policy by your web hosting, etc...). If other URLs work, but that particular URL doesn't then that should be a red flag for you that something is wrong with the URL.

If the 404 Error message is incorrect, simply DO NOT use the 'Verify' button and just save your post as normal by specifying the file size and duration upon save. The value entered will save if you manually set the file size and duration information. (If you tell PowerPress to detect this information and it has a 404 error, that will be why it does not save).