Author Topic: Have 'Auto-Add' off but .mp3s are still linked  (Read 1354 times)

b2ag05

Have 'Auto-Add' off but .mp3s are still linked
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:07 pm »
There is a possibility that I am missing something, but I set the following:
Auto Add Media - Disabled (Default).

Some categories have multiple actualities and are not intended to be podcast. Two categories are intentionally set up as podcasts with only one audio file per post. I don't want to have to hack the code, but I am very happy with WP-Audio as my main player for the multiple audio posts and have been able to keep WP-Audio from competing on the podcasts posts.

I would love to know what setting I have set incorrectly that is placing the player on all posts with audio even though I have the "Auto Add Media" setting 'disabled."

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Have 'Auto-Add' off but .mp3s are still linked
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:32:48 am »
Are you using Blubrry Powerpress? 

If so, you could try turning off the "enhance all feeds" in the control panel.

If you are not using powerpress, then I will have to defer to people that know wordpress better then I do :)

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:48 am »
WordPress (when PowerPress is not enabled) will make any media link into a podcast enclosure, which is what WP-Audio player is picking up. To better explain, think of it this way.

Before PowerPress was installed, WordPress was assuming that any audio file you linked to is a podcast. Now PowerPress is installed, all future blog posts you create you must enter the media url into the Podcast episode box, otherwise PowerPress assumes you just wanted to link to some audio without it becoming a podcast episode (better behavior in my opinion).

So what ever media links you created in the past will now appear in your category feeds and WP-Audio player will display a player for.

If you are only worried about the presence of two players (1 from PowerPress, the other from Audio player), then go to the Appearance settings tab in PowerPress and disable PowerPress's player. If there are media files that are now in your feeds as podcast episodes, you need to manually remove them from the Custom Fields of each blog post in question, the custom field is called "enclosure". You must keep PowerPress enabled (don't disable the plugin) or else WordPress will re-add those media URLs in your posts as podcast episodes. Confusing I know, but this is what WordPress did.

b2ag05

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:42:08 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I understand both suggestions, but unfortunately our development cycle changed in the middle of this project, so I won't get to test them out for a week or so. I will do my best to update after I have had a chance to put them to the test.

The most helpful part for me was the explanation about how WP handles audio links for podcasting. I was not aware of that and will have to round out my knowledge base by digging a little deeper.

Again. Thanks for both responses.

Patrick