Author Topic: # of podcasts showing up in iTunes  (Read 2936 times)

funcolors

# of podcasts showing up in iTunes
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:36:09 am »
I need help with two things, please:

1)  iTunes is only showing a list of the last ten podcasts.  As soon as I post a new one, one of the prior podcasts gets knocked off the list.  What can I do so ALL of our podcasts are listed on iTunes and not just the last ten?

2) For the first several podcasts posted, the length was automatically listed in iTunes.  All the sudden, I do not know why, that info is no longer included.  Does it have to do with "enclosure" thing-y in WordPress.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I am using WordPress with the Powepress plug-in.  Podcasts are on iTunes under Color Budz.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: # of podcasts showing up in iTunes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:40 am »
Good morning,

To get more then 10 items in your feed, you can go to your wordpress control panel and click settings and then reading.  Then change the value of "Syndication feeds show the most recent". I wouldn't go more then 50 on this item.  iTunes may still only list 10 items (or it could be more) but the last 50 episodes will be available if someone subscribes in itunes. You can turn that number up, but at some point your feed will get too big.

To get the length to show up, make sure when you post your episode, you hit the "verify" button next to the Media URL and make sure that fills in the size and duration blocks without error.  You can go back to your old posts and hit "modify podcast episode" and do that on the ones that don't show the length.

Hope this helps!
-Mike

funcolors

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:09:21 pm »
Mike,

I would have never found my way on WordPress or figured this out on my own.  Thank you so much for the detailed response.  The only thing that looks suspect is I got the following message when I verified media:

"Warning, Media URL http://media.blubrry.com/colorpodz/colorbudz.com/audio/CP11/CP11.mp3: Sample Rate 24Khz may cause playback issues, we recommend 22Khz or 44Khz for maximum player compatibility. [Help]Warning, Media URL http://media.blubrry.com/colorpodz/colorbudz.com/audio/CP11/CP11.mp3: Channel Mode 'mono' may cause playback issues, we recommend 'joint stereo' for maximum player compatibility. [Help]"

All podcasts so far are at 24Khz and 'mono' and it is not a problem.  If I change the Rate as suggested, then it sounds like the Chipmunks. 

Question is should I worry about this message or don't try to fix what does not appear broken?

Thank you,
Lori

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:55:33 am »
You definitely should worry about using a 24Kbps Sample Rate. The chipmunk effect happens when the audio is played back in a Flash based web player (not your default media player on your computer). Flash is very picky and is the most popular method for playing audio on web pages, so it is important you get this Sample Rate is correct. This will no longer be an issue in 1-2 years when HTML5 audio replaces Flash.

Mono is an issue because older versions of Flash as well as older iPods will not play mono files. I've also herd reports that some stock mp3 CD players in cars will not play mono files, though I doubt anyone listening to podcasts would use a CD player with mp3s of a podcast anyway. Again, in 1-2 years when Flash and most all of the first generation iPods are no longer used this will no longer be an issue.

You can always ignore the warnings, they are there only to warn you of potential problems.

funcolors

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »
Angelo,

Great explanation and I thoroughly understand the issue now.  And all I have to say is cr*p.  :o  Because that means I have about a dozen podcasts to go back and re-save at the newer rate.

I use Audacity to edit our recorded Skype calls also to convert .aud files by using 'save as' .mp3.  I have tried to meet the criteria of 22 khz to 44 khz and stereo instead of mono but could not get it to sound right on my default media player on my computer.

Guess I simply have not struck the perfect combo so the podcasts work/sound right across various players.

Thanks again for the responses - much appreciated.