Author Topic: m4a doesn't seem to work  (Read 5361 times)

adaptiman

m4a doesn't seem to work
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:52 am »
I have a producer who is saving her files in m4a format. Although your documentation says that m4a is supported, it doesn't seem to work. For example:

http://amongwomen.sqpn.com/2010/04/24/among-women-podcast-54/

Does something else need to be enabled to fix this?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: m4a doesn't seem to work
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:53 am »
I think it might have to do with the name of the file more then the format.  The file name I see in your example is "Among Women Podcast #54.m4a"   I would try removing the spaces and replace them with underscores and get rid of the # and see if that makes it work.

Also, I wasn't able to download it using the direct link so make sure the file is where the link says it is.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »
Remember, the flash based players can only play mp3 files. M4a must use a Quicktime embed and can only be consumed by m4a supported applications such as iTunes. You will support a bigger audience if you switch to mp3 format.

adaptiman

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:35:33 am »
You're preaching to the choir. The content is not mine, but one of our producers.

billybobjankinz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:44:09 am »
just remove the spaces

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:36:13 pm »
The M4A files do work (I'm listening to the example given now) It just requires quicktime and it also has to download the entire file before it starts playing.  Not the best way to do it, but it does work.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:21:54 pm »
We will have better m4a support in PowerPress 2.0, simply because HTML5 audio will perform this function much better than the Quicktime Embed. Interesting though, if you have Safari, the HTML 5 audio player is still Quicktime, but in Firefox it's the native Firefox audio player. The game changer will be when IE9 is released, which will support HTML5 audio in m4a.

arrianesamante89

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 05:04:17 pm »
why don't you try using another player instead of using the conventional one. I'm pretty sure their are alot of player online that you can download that supports m4a file..

sunshinecorazon89

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 06:04:05 pm »
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm sure their are alot of players that you can use aside from the conventional one.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:59:58 am »
Of course and we're looking into that for PowerPress 2.0. Just the current audio players already packaged in PowerPress do not support m4a, but the video player does.