Author Topic: Moving podcast site to new hosting question  (Read 1396 times)

homeservershow

Moving podcast site to new hosting question
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:58:25 am »
I host my own downloads and will be moving my site to a new web host soon.  I would like to keep my old host to serve the .mp3 files for my podcast but will be moving the domain name to the new host.  I would setup a new domain name to resolve the old .mp3's.  It seems simple enough to do this with new episodes as I can enter in the location of the file.  Does it matter if my .mp3 file is on a separate domain when I create the podcast post?  How do I change all the old podcast posts to point to the new location which will be the old host?  Did that make sense?

Thanks.

homeservershow

Re: Moving podcast site to new hosting question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:33:53 am »
Wish this forum had just a bit more traffic.

Anyone using storage of their shows besides blubrry, libsyn, etc?  Please share your methods and thoughts.   Now I'm considering bringing all my past shows to the new host and publishing new shows to the old host.  That might be the easiest method.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:05:53 pm »
The Domain used for your media does not matter, you can link to any media file.

We have a tool in PowerPress that makes updating/changing the media URLS a snap. Go to the PowerPress menu on the left and navigate to the "Tools" page. Click the option half way down the page to "Search and Replace Media URLs". This tool will first give you a preview of the media URLs you will change as well as verify the new URL exists.

depending on your media download traffic bandwidth needs, there's not too many services to pick from. I have herd good things about DreamHost, though they are not podcast specific. They provide you web hosting and leave it up to you to figure out how to name your media files, upload, etc...

homeservershow

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »
Very nice!  Thank you Angelo.  It was right there in front of me and I missed it.