Author Topic: elegant way to force excerpts in the default powerpress feed?  (Read 2029 times)

diablodale

I would like to send excerpts (instead of the full article) with my default blubrry powerpress podcast feed while keeping the main RSS feed of the site the full articles. Therefore, the global wordpress reading setting "For each article in a feed, show..." doesn't meet my needs.

Anyone know an elegant way to do this?

If not elegant, perhaps I can hack it into powerpress.php?

--Dale

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: elegant way to force excerpts in the default powerpress feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:33:06 pm »
PowerPress doesn't handle the post content mapping to the feeds. What you enter into a blog post content field and excerpt are mapped to your feed directly by WordPress, whether or not you are using PowerPress.

You may want to search WordPress.org for a plugin that lets you modify the RSS2 <description> and <content:encoded>.

So you are aware, the <description> RSS2 tag is populated by default from your blog post content, stripped of the HTML. <content:encoded> takes your blog post content as is, including the HTML. There is an option in WordPress to use the excerpt in place of the <description>, but I am unaware if it also applies to the <content:encoded>. Many feed readers such as Google reader will default to using the <content:encoded> over <description>. To get the exact desired effect you are looking for, you may be a plugin that simply removes the <content:encoded> from your feed. That combined with using excerpt for <description> will do exactly what you want.

If there is no plugin out there to do this, you may need to follow the instructions in this article: http://www.memwg.com/enabling-wordpress-full-feeds/ This would require you to modify WordPress directly, and every time you update WordPress you would have to re-update your wp-rss2.php.

fretziede93

Re: elegant way to force excerpts in the default powerpress feed?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:43:34 am »
I think I should be agree on Angelo because he was right. PowerPress doesn't handle the post content mapping to the feeds. What you enter into a blog post content field and excerpt are mapped to your feed directly by WordPress, whether or not you are using PowerPress.