Author Topic: New Stats App and PodPress  (Read 10002 times)

PodcastMike

New Stats App and PodPress
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:08:29 am »
Is someone at BluBrry working with the PodPress developers to get your stats redirect into PodPress?

rawvoicemarketing

Re: New Stats App and PodPress
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:27:10 am »
We are going to have several options for publishers to access their stats, including CSV download and possibly RSS. We may offer our own plugin for WordPress depending on the demand and the availability of our lead developer Angelo to code something that works well.

We're working on tight time frames, with limited resources and a lot of things to accomplish. This prevents us from doing everything that people may want right now. So our focus is building tools that work now and hopefully we can have the time and budget to do all the wish list things later.

PodcastMike

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
No... No... No...

PodPress has built in the redirect for PodTrac right now. I don't know what the redirects look like, but I would guess that your redirects work similar to PodTrac's (from the user side anyway). The PodPress developers should be able to do the rest if you give them the information they need to automatically create the redirect URL. If you are still confused, skype me this evening (Koldark).

rawvoicemarketing

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 11:20:32 am »
Our lead developer Angelo is going to look at all options for propagating connections to the stats system. He has been in touch with the PodPress developer about a number of things related to Blubrry. But we can't make any promises since we have to work around Angelo's to-do list and also the developer of the plug-in.

PodcastMike

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:31:51 am »
I realize scheduling.... I just wanted to make sure that you have been in contact so when I start using the stats, I know won't always have to add in the redirect in to the enclosure tag.

Thank you for looking into it and for your quick replies.

rawvoicemarketing

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:25:14 pm »
Thanks for speaking up and letting us know what you need Mike. Believe you me. I'm a podcaster who uses WordPress too so I'm providing Angelo recommendations on things we can do to make the process for including the redirect easier.

I would like to see us have some sort of PodPress integration as well as a standalone plug-in for those who don't use PodPress.

So there's no doubt that its on the list of things to accomplish. As Todd has mentioned we are looking at working with contract developers to achieve some things we'd like to add. We have a list of plug-ins and widgets, some of which are WordPress specific. If that happens we should be able to provide more visibility on a schedule of adding these features.

rawvoicemarketing

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:32:07 pm »
Using your redirect URL in Wordpress with Podpress

Go to the Podpress general settings tab.

Place your redirect URL in front of the value in the "URI of media files directory".

Leave the option labeled "Local path to media files directory" pointing to your local directory.

PodcastMike

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:25:43 pm »
Well... my files are on Libsyn right now, but I will try that when I can start using the the stats program.

richpalmer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:08:03 pm »
I'm noticing that the Blubrry stats just do not reflect my actual show delivery numbers.  It appears that using the Podpress system is nice to have, but Podpress only allows two stats services to be used.

My show (Audio Gumshoe) is already on Libsyn, so their stats count.  Plus, my show feed is delivered through Feedburner, so there's another.

I collect my feed info on my Podpress stats... so that's a third(?)... so the Blubrry numbers are just not there.  It is only showing 13 downloads for my show since the last episode.  Aack... I wonder if I would produce for only 13 people.  :)  And I know that there are many more than that based on my Podpress stats for delivery.

So... what can we do to get more accurate stats at Blubrry?

I would truly like to stop using Feedburner, but I'd be afraid changing my feed would again lose most of my listeners.  I already had that problem almost two years ago when I had to change the show name/feed, etc.  I lost 2/3 of my users -- and it seemed to take almost 9 months to return to the same numbers I had lost.

Hmmm...

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 12:17:42 am »
To date we have been running side by side comparisons with podtrac, libsyn, and the rawvocie stats all three services have been withing 2-3% points of each other on a variety of shows.

1st make sure that the rss feed actually is showing the media rediretc
2nd make sure on physical download links the media redirect is also there.

To date the data we have been getting has been highly accurate and most deltas in numbers have been from shows not implenting the redirect correct.

The current version of podpress has a bug is resulting in the media redirect not being implemented correctly. I would suggest you look at the source hyperlinks in your rss feed and make sure the media.blubrry.com/keyword/ is actually there and that the direct download links on the website and any external players are also tied in.

Norbtek

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 06:32:33 pm »
PodPress is having problems with Blubrry stats. Here are some of the forum posts at MightSeek (podpress forums). Disturbing since I want to use PodPress and Blubrry stats.

Norbert

http://www.mightyseek.com/forum/showthread.php?t=960

http://www.mightyseek.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961&highlight=blubrry

richpalmer

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 12:08:36 am »
See, I am totally confused.  I've added the redirect in my Podpress URI of media files directory.

I've selected "Use Blubrry Stats".  I added audiogumshoe in the keyword field... (is that right, 'cuz there were no directions at all about what to do with that field.

Yet, when I look at the Podpress direct download link on my blog entries I see such: http://richpalmer.com/podcasts/podpress_trac/web/109/0/ag85_twoyear_25Sept07.mp3

I do NOT want to do without my Podpress stats.  They've been the most accurate that I've seen from all of the reporting services so far.  And yet, I have almost 900 downloads on my current show, but Blubrry is showing 19!

I read the forum entries at Mighty Seek, but I can't make heads or tails out of what they are saying there.

EDIT:  Okay, I got this info from another section of the forum:
Originally Posted by iscifi  View Post
you can only use two total redirect (external stats) sites.

in other words you can use podtrac or blrbry, not both and podpress wont let you use both

Or if you use podpress stats (internal) then external you can not use feedburner, or libysyn to host your files as it will be more than 2 redirects and itunes and other RSS aggergators will ignore your RSS if its redirected more than 2 times.

have you used this with the podpress stats unchecked?

So, basically, I'm out of luck for using the Blubrry stats at this time.  I DO host at Libsyn (and not likely to change that anytime soon) and I DO use the Podpress stats... as I said, they've proven to be very effective for me.

However, I'm also sending my feed through Feedburner.  So, I have way too many redirects happening.  No wonder stats get fragmented.  I'm very likely to quit using the Blubrry and Podtrac (they've stunk anyway as far as I can tell... when I was using them they rarely reflected any of the same numbers that Podpress and Libsyn reported... and even Libsyn is low compared to my Podpress tracking).

And if iTunes will ignore more than two redirects, I wonder if I've not been killing my potential show results, anyway.

More than two years into this and I still find I'm doing things all wrong.   :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:23:27 am by richpalmer »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:09:13 pm »
I'm not sure why PodPress had a 2 redirect limit. Most all clients have a 5 redirect limit, whereas Internet Explorer has a 12 redirect limit and Firefox has 20 redirect limit. iTunes has a 5 redirect limit.