Author Topic: podcast feed  (Read 1648 times)

WreckhouseRadio

podcast feed
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:04:16 pm »
Apparently after the upgrade to powerpress the feed to iTunes changed from psychobillydeluxe.com/?feed=rss2 to http://psychobillydeluxe.com/feed/ , which is fine because they are the same thing right? Problem is I need the feed to now point to http://psychobillydeluxe.com/feed/podcast/ which is what powerpress is recommending. This would make more sense as it would exclude any other feed article from disrupting itunes.

I guessed the only way to do this was via the iTunes new feed url field in powerpress. After clicking on it and getting the warning I noticed on the bottom right after the enter new URL field was this:
"Please navigate to the 'Custom Podcast Channels' section to set the new-feed-url for your podcast only feed (http://psychobillydeluxe.com/feed/podcast/)"

So I went to the Custom Podcast Channels section in which it says Podcast is the default channel. I checked the iTunes settings under this and there is no information filled out? What does this mean? Do I still need to change the new feed URL to the feed/podcast channel ?

negativecamber

Re: podcast feed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:32:15 am »
I am having a similar problem.  I upgraded and iTunes is not seeing the newest podcast although my main page RSS feed shows it.  I use a feedburner RSS feed for both my podcast feed and the main page feed.  I have removed the feedburner redirect plugin and the feedburner URL from the podcast channel section but still not getting a resolution.

Not sure what settings would not have carried over during the upgrade or why the feed settings would be changed when upgrading, that seems to be something Powerpress should leave the same during upgrade...no?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:27:35 am »
The change from /?feed=rss2  to /feed/ has to do with your permalink settings in Wordpress.  Did you change the format of permalinks lately? 

As for the itunes issues,  I would ignore the "Navigate to custom podcast channels.. " message.. Just put your new feed url for itunes in the blank in the iTunes tab.  (don't forget to hit save)

I'm not sure (maybe Angelo can explain it) why that says what it says.

My "custom podcast channel"  for the /feed/podcast/ feed is blank for itunes but the itunes tab in powerpress is filled out.  I'm assuming that is all that needs to be done with powerpress.

The other thing you can do is setup a 301 redirect in your .htaccess file.   For more info on that search the forum here. 

Hope that helps.

-Mike  ;D

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:31 am »
The podcast only feed is ideal for submitting to podcasting directories and iTunes because it only contains blog posts with media associated with them. When you have your items per feed setting for your blog set at 20, and the last 20 blog posts you made, only 5 of them have episodes, then your main RSS feed in iTunes will only show 5 episodes (because iTunes doesn't show posts without media). If you use the podcast only feed, iTunes would still display your latest 20 episodes, because the podcast only feed does not include blog posts.

The example above presumes you have created more than 20 podcast episodes and also that you also blog (write posts without media). If you only ever create podcast episodes on your WordPress site, then the main RSS feed will be identical to your podcast only feed and you can ignore the note.

The note is there to help new podcasters decide which feed is best to submit to iTunes.