Author Topic: Multiple podcasts on one Wordpress site  (Read 13724 times)

wdupray

Multiple podcasts on one Wordpress site
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »
I run a podcast site (www.libertypundits.com) with many different shows by different podcasters, all of which have different feeds.  I need to separately track the stats for all the shows for each podcaster.  The Blubrry redirect seems to only be available for one feed.  Am I missing something or can Blubrry only handle one show feed per site?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Multiple podcasts on one Wordpress site
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:12:53 pm »
Depending on what you want to achieve, enable both 'Category Podcasting' and 'Podcast Channels' under the 'Advanced Options' in the PowerPress Settings page. Then read the instructions on each of these pages to see which fits your situation best.

wdupray

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:28:18 pm »
Thanks.  We'll give it a shot.

wdupray

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:02:48 pm »
We have already set up each producer with their own feed in the Category Podcasting page.  They each  have a distinct feed.  How can I set the redirect url for each hosts' show such that your stats feature will track the hits for that host and all their individual episodes?  Can I set them automatically, or do I have to enter a different redirect for every host and every episode as we post them?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »
Currently the media redirect setting is applied to all episodes in your WordPress installation. Typically when a podcaster mixes different shows together they want to measure them as one network. Your actually the first person to request the ability to maintain separate statistics on a per-category basis. I've added it to the feature TODO list, but I can't promise anything. It is rather complicated since our statistics are integrated into the dashboard, you would have to be able to setup multiple programs and/or even multiple accounts to make it work correctly.

wdupray

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:31 pm »
Thanks for adding it to the queue.  Sounds like, if I understand you correctly, at least as of today, I would have to set up a separate account, with separate logins, etc. to do this.  Lotsa work, that.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:29 pm »
You can have multiple programs with one Blubrry account, but I assume that since you want separate statistics accounts for each program that you have separate podcasters creating content for each podcast. I am only guessing your intentions, you'll have to indulge further what your trying to accomplish for me to better answer the question.

wdupray

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:08 am »
You got it.  I need separate stats for each podcaster and their shows. 

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 03:06:40 pm »
Here is another complication: If an episode crosses into 5 different categories, this would mean that we would have 5 possible different redirects to have to add to the media. Or would the redirect only be applied to these posts/episodes in the feed only, and the site would use the primary redirect URL?

wdupray

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:29 am »
Episodes stay in their categories.  Here is what I want to do.  For example I have The Patriot Room radio show.  I want to track all stats for every episode of that show.  I also have The Right Doctor Show.  I want to track all stats for every episode of that show.  The Patriot Room Show and the Right Doctor show (and the other 10 or so shows we have) are each  in their own category.  For Example Patriot Room is a category.  The Right Doctor is a category.  I want to be able to tell the host of the Right Doctor show (and every other host) how many hits her show has had in total and I want to be able to break that down by individual episode.  I don't want her stats to be mixed in with stats for any other host's show. Can we do that?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:40:02 am »
We can do that, but as you know, anything can happen due to user error. If the podcaster selects other categories, then that will be a problem.

It is easy to only apply the redirect to the specific category feed. The problem comes when applying the redirect on the blog web pages. If category A and category B are selected when the post was created, then technically I should add both redirects for both categories. For the feed though, we know which category feed they are requesting.

There's also not a problem if posts can only be associated with 1 category. Do you know if there is a plugin that limits the number of categories that can be selected? That would be ideal for solving this problem.

wdupray

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »
Only two people, me and one other person, post shows, so we can guarantee that shows are in the proper categories.  Moreover, a given show, say Patriot Room Radio, is only in the Patriot Room Radio category.  No other shows are in that category and Patriot Room Radio is never in another category.  There are also no other blog posts on the site.  They are all podcasts and each host has his/her own category.  So if setting a redirect in a category feed is what I need to do, how can I do that?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 04:42:28 pm »
The option does not exist yet, we're still discussing how it would work and if it is possible. I believe this will work so as long as users always only use one category for a given podcast post/episode. I am thinking the logic in PowerPress will be to only add the category media redirect for the first category that is found for the post/episode, just in case someone does select 2 or more categories. So in your case that will not happen but we need to design this in a way that will work for everyone.

I am also thinking that displaying statistics for both programs in the dashboard would be too complicated and such functionality may be added at a later date.

I think a media redirect setting for podcast categories could easily be added in the next major release.

wdupray

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 11:52:02 am »
Okay.  Guess we are out of luck until the next version.  Thanks for working it through with me.

jp

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
I am struggling with this same issue.  We have one WordPress site and currently have 10 different podcast feeds coming from the site using categories.  They are all for different clients and I need to be able to break out the stats by episode to share with each individual client.  If I can't do it with one account can I sign up for multiple Blubrry stats accounts and have them tied back to the same wordpress site/ url?

I would be interested in hiring an consultant who totally understand the ins and outs of this issue to help us come up with a solution.  Any takers?