Author Topic: How to use media embed feature  (Read 2509 times)

poolhall

How to use media embed feature
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:17:09 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get the media embed feature to work.  I put the embed code in from blip.tv into the media embed box and update the post.  When I look for the code after the update it's disappeared and there is no video in my post.  is there some documentation somewhere on how this is supposed to work or maybe I'm getting some conflict.  The only plugins I have actived are powerpress and akismet.  I am also using the Thesis theme.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: How to use media embed feature
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:24 am »
Are you adding a Media URL as well with the embed? With out a Media URL to the video media (m4v or mp4 for example), PowerPress will not save the episode information. If you just want to put embeds in your blog post and pages, then you don't need the PowerPress plugin.

Basically if you want your media to appear on iTunes and other podcast directories, applications and portable devices like Android or the iPhone, you need to distribute a non-embed version of your video (in H.264 format for the widest audience) since embeds cannot be played by such devices/applications.

SteveErrey

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:45:15 pm »
I have a similar issue linking to a vimeo movie.  I've done this before by adding the vimeo link in the media URL field, as in this post - http://theconfidenceguyonline.com/2009/05/confidence-fear-bff/, and that also appears in the podcast feed - http://theconfidenceguyonline.com/feed/podcast.

Doing the same thing now with a new vimeo movie doesn't work, telling me that it can't detect what type of media it is.  It looks like something has changed in a recent version of the plugin - is there a way that I can get this working again?

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:41:19 pm »
You are not linking to an actual Media file. You are linking to a page on Vimeo, how powerpress detected a enclosure is beyond me, but I can guarantee your subscribers are not going to be able to download the file you are linked to..

In the Media URL box you have to link to a physical file, aka MP3, M4V, MP4 something that can be downloaded by iTunes or other podcatchers. 

Somehow PowerPress picked up something in that it should not have.

In the embed section you can put the Vimeo embed in that area to display on your blog so long as you have also put a link to actual media in the media url box.

Here is the reasoning we set this up this way. You want people using itunes, iphone, itouch, ipod, Zune, Blackberry etc to be able to consumer aka listen or watch your media on their mobile devices. Without a physical file to download the podcatching software will error out and those consuming your content will end up with nothing on their mobile devices.

The embed was added to make it easy for you to not only offer the downloadable media, but also make it so you can display the actual video file on your website so those that are visiting your website can consume the content this way.

If you need hosting for your actual video files downloads we and others offer hosting for the downloadable media, you can continue to offer your video embeds from vimeo as a way for people to consume the content on your website.