Author Topic: Confused about setting up a feed  (Read 2189 times)

brenonline

Confused about setting up a feed
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:59 am »
Somewhat unclear as to how I go about creating a feed for my podcasts.

I am creating various podcasts and placing them in posts on my Wordpress site.

I am not sure about how go about giving people a way to subscribe to these podcasts.
The RSS subscribe button for the site works fine, but I am assuming that there should be a separate feed/subscription option for the podcasts

On the blubrry PowerPress Settings page under the feeds tab there is an are for “Feed Settings”. In this area there is a place for an RSS2 Image. I’m not sure what this is referring to.

On the same page in Podcast Feeds section there is a a label for “Podcast Channel Feeds. When I click on this is takes me to Google Reader (I am assuming I don’t want to end up a Google Reader when clicking a podcast feed??)

I am new to podcasting and this is all a bit confusing. I am able to upload my audio file, get the player to play it. I also don’t have a problem with loading a podcast icon in my site bar, but I’m not sure what I should be linking that to.

Any help or a link in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brennan

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Confused about setting up a feed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:12:51 pm »
Powerpress creates a special podcast only feed address.  That can be found in powerpress feeds tab.

That is the podcast feed you should be linking to.

The RSS2 image is a logo or other image you want included in your feed.  It should be a .jpg or png image 144x144 px.  you would upload that to your webserver and then put the URL to it in that rss2 image field.

As far as google reader coming up when you click a feed.  That is something in how you have your browser set. 

You could download the Blubrry Subscribe sidebar plugin to get all your feed links into your sidebar.  That can be found here: http://www.blubrry.com/subscribe_sidebar/

Hope this helps you out.  Email me at mike [at] rawvoice.com if you have any other questions or just post them here.

-Mike

brenonline

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:49:15 am »
Hi Mike:

Thank you for your advice.

I so see my Podcast Channel Feeds address in Blubrry PowerPress Settings > Feeds > Podcast Channel Feeds.

So as far as I understand my site now has two different feeds.
A Main RSS2 Feed and
A Special Podcast only Feed.

I have successfully uploaded an image logo and it is displaying correctly on the front page of my blog. However, when I click the image I get taken to….the image. So in other words, it does not appear that I have correctly associated the image with the podcast only feed that was created by Blubrry.

So am I supposed to combine the url link for the image as well as the url for the podcast  only feed right in the Blubrry PowerPress Settings > Feeds> RSS2 Image field?

Is the reason that Google reader is coming up when I click on the Special Podcast only Feed because I don’t have a podcast aggregator (which I’m not exactly clear is) or some type of podcast service etc? Seems like this happens when I go to subscribe to podcasts on other sites as well.  I apologize for my lack of understanding in this area.

Last question. Since Blubrry has created a Special Podcast only Feed for me I am assuming that I would be able to submit that feed to let’s say “Podcast Alley”.

Once this is done, would each new podcast/audio clip I create using Blubrry get submitted automatically (to Podcast Alley) via that initial submission of the feed?

Thanks again,

Brennan

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:54:47 am »
The best way to put a link to your podcast feeds is the Subscribe sidebar plugin we do at Blubrry.com (http://www.blubrry.com/subscribe_sidebar/)

As for how your podcast only feed works, .. Yes, AFTER you have a podcast file in the feed, you can submit that feed to iTunes, Podcast Alley and wherever else you would like. 

When you add a media file to a blog post (using the media url box in the post template in wordpress) that file will show up in your feed and be fed to all the subscribers and directories you have.

Hope this helps you out.

-Mike