Author Topic: Moving iTunes users from main feed to category feed with new-feed-URL?  (Read 1768 times)

GM80

I run a church website, and we've been podcasting our Sunday morning sermons using the Podcasting plugin for several months, so all of our iTunes subscribers are subscribed to ?feed=podcast at our website.

We just switched to Blubrry PowerPress so we can manage several different podcasts from a variety of teachers. Our Sunday morning sermons will now be Category Podcasted at ?feed=rss2&cat=10, so I want to move all our current subscribers to that category feed.

I'd like to seamlessly move our current subscribers rather than give them all the new top level catch-all category that PowerPress makes (which would include not only what the subscribed to, but all the new stuff that's coming soon). Can I set the main feed to have an iTunes New Feed URL of ?feed=rss2&cat=10 or will that break something?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Moving iTunes users from main feed to category feed with new-feed-URL?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:10:32 pm »
In powerpress under the iTunes tab you can set a new URL for itunes subscribers.   That will only work for itunes.

As for changing the main feed, the only way to do that is a 301 redirect.  If you have access to your .htacess you can do this.  What that would do is if someone goes to the old feed they will get the new feed. 

Google "301 redirect" for the syntax to use in your .htacess file.

Hope this helps!

-Mike