Author Topic: Why Powerpress?  (Read 3531 times)

handyguys

Why Powerpress?
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »
Angelo and all,

Help me understand what advantages there are in using powerpress with something like blip.tv.

If I used blip to host video content and then added the URL or embed code through powerpress what does that buy me?

Just trying to understand. For self hosted audio and self/feedburner feed to itunes and other aggregation services, like blubrry I get it.

Anyone willing to do a phone consult?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Why Powerpress?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
Simple, allows you to do your own video sharing site such as http://techpodcasts.tv/.

When you create a "podcast episode", you associate both the embed from your favorite video sharing site with the actual Media URL to your video. In addition, you can include a video cover image (as shown on the techpodcasts.tv site) to display a preview image in place of the player. The embed by itself cannot be syndicated into podcatchers and portable devices, which is why you need both the embed and the media URL.

handyguys

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Thanks Angelo

So a workflow with blip would go something like this???

1) Upload media file(s) to blip
2) Embed using powerpress embed feature
3) also provide media URL to powerpress (media URL at blip as well)
4) add preview image somewhere

Sound correct?

Then powerpress will give me iTunes compatible feed, etc even though media source is at blip and not self hosted.

Okay - I think I have it.

Angelo - willing to do a consult?

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »
I use Blip for flash only and I NEVER link the media Blip creates to a download my viewers will get on their ipod.

The problem with using the downloadable media at blip (bad idea) is that all of your media files that are listed in iTunes are with Blips archaic naming conventions and no ID3 tag data.  You end up with a file name in peoples ipod that looks like this

74675po927986727754_your_media_name.m4v

Not the most attractive thing to present to your viewers in their iPod/iPhone/Zune etc when they download your media.

I have the flash from blip (pro account) on my website. The actual media file my viewers download automatically I host on Blubrry Podcast Hosting and it is named with a good naming convention and has the id3 tags written to it.

The video file is also encoded exactly the way I want and I am guaranteed that the zune/ipod/iphone/blackberry/android users are all going to be able to view it in the optimal format for their device.

While Blip is free you are going to have a lot of pissed of viewers who are going to try and make sense of the file naming and titling because there is none. You get what you pay for.

handyguys

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:33:48 am »
Todd - Thanks for your reply. I'll check out the naming conventions. So the feed(s) we provide should be from powerpress but the vid hosted at blip?