Author Topic: using a flash player to display videos on post pages?  (Read 2950 times)

oldman

using a flash player to display videos on post pages?
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:47:48 pm »
Hi Everyone,  ;D

First of all....wow, great plugin! The auto detect media and the custom field integration rocks! I'm even able post postcasts automatically using xlm-rpc protocol. Keep up the great work!

I'm trying to using your plugin to enable this wall street guru to create a daily market update video podcast. Everything is working perfectly, but all of the gurus clients are on locked down corporate windows computers and can not install Quicktime or iTunes but they do have flash installed.

I was hoping someone could give me some advice or point me to the part of the code that controls the embedding of the video on the post pages. I'm hoping to use jw player or some other flash based play that can playback m4v files. That way the guru's clients will be able to see the video on the pages and we will still have a podcast for people not locked down by the IT departments of the world.

Thank you for your time,

Christian

Update: I found it! it looks like its all done in the player.js file, I'm going to try to use the existing code for the swflash player to integrate the jw player... wish me luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:14:45 pm by oldman »

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: using a flash player to display videos on post pages?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:11:50 pm »
Good Luck!  Let us know how it works out!

-Mike

jkirkwood

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:00:51 pm »
Any news on this?

When a Windows user (IE7, Vista) clicks on the embedded PowerPress player for an .mp4 file, they are usually offered the QuickTime download to install the player (this can be large and slow, or denied due to administrator rights).

If they choose 'Don't install', the Windows Media Player is embedded instead by default. This tries to play (and should be able to) but eventually stops with no image. Right-click on the player and view 'Error Details' to
find that ‎WMP encountered error message C00D11B1 (possibly caused by error message 80040418).

However, if I click the 'Download' link and then choose 'Open', the Windows Media Player pops up as a separate application window and plays the video perfectly. Is it possible to have a more graceful fallback, or better detection of installed software?

I have seen .mp4 recommended over .flv, but for a platform-independent user experience, I can only consider going with Flash.

Many thanks for your work,
John

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:19:35 am »
John,

Someone else from blubrry will get back to you soon.  I'm not a flash expert by any means. I will make sure to pass this on. 

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »
Are you doing video? If so, I would recommend using the 'Embed' feature, then you can use embeds from sites such as blip.tv in your episodes, while still using mp4 for the actual podcast feed. Very important you use mp4 or m4v because iTunes does not recognize flv.