Author Topic: Podcast player issue with Wordpress theme  (Read 4129 times)

douglaseye

Podcast player issue with Wordpress theme
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:08:29 pm »
UPDATE: Wait - I just clicked the 'Fix this problem' in the Powerpress settings in Wordpress and the player seems to have disappeared off the front page. So that's good... | The newbie journey continues. | Douglas

I have a problem with the Blubrry basic podcast player in a custom WooThemes Wordpress theme. I am leaning towards jumping in and subscribing to the Blubrry service but just wanted quickly to try out the most basic free podcast player and so loaded the Powepress plug-in into a Fresh News Wordpress theme by WooThemes.com. The theme posts excerpts of blogposts onto the home page of a beta magazine site I am working on, but I do not want the player out there. How do I keep the player off the homepage so that it only shows when people click through to it? Take a look at the Westvirginiaville podcast and the big ol' Blubrry screen on the page. Thanks in advance for any insights:

http://hundredmountain.com/appalachiatoday2/

Douglaseye
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:16:11 pm by douglaseye »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Podcast player issue with Wordpress theme
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:41:13 am »
Sounds like it is working as you expect now.

douglaseye

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »
Alas, now the Blubrry player is showing at the bottom of my Wordpress blogpost instead of the top. How do I make sure the podcast player goes in at the top? And how do I get a starting image on the player of the show and not that black screen with the Blubrry logo? Guidance welcome to this podcast noob:

http://hundredmountain.com/westvirginiaville/archives/28

Douglas

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:47:26 am »
The blubrry play image appears rather than video because you are using Quicktime formatted video. If we were to display the video embed, it would automatically start downloading, which negatively impacts your download statistics. It also creates an issue for your main page of your blog, as all of the video will try to download when the page loads, which makes the page appear to never end loading.

Future version of PowerPress will have a feature which will allow you to replace the default play image packaged with PowerPress. At present, you can replace it by editng your wp-config.php file, instructions are available here in section titled "I want to customize my play icon": http://help.blubrry.com/blubrry-powerpress/advanced-tweaks/

douglaseye

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:12:18 am »
Thanks for the tip. The relevant section at that link says this information below. Having never altered my wp-config-php file do I just open it up by ftp-ing into my site and opening it with a text editor and adding that code below somewhere after first uploading the image I wish for the player to show (with, I usppose, the same dimensions as the Blubrry play icon?)

Douglas

Blubrry Player: If you see the blubrry player icon for your audio/video (m4a/m4v), you can customize this by adding the following define to your wp-config.php.

define('POWERPRESS_PLAY_IMAGE', 'http://server.com/full/path/to/image.jpg');

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »
You are correct. If you've never used FTP before, i recommend Filezilla. Also, make sure you transfer all fields in binary mode, only time the ascii mode is necessary is when you are uploading to a Windows server.

If you do not have a text editor, do a search for Notepad++, it has all the features you'll ever need, syntax coloring, etc.. and is freeware.