Author Topic: One episode to multiple feeds  (Read 4416 times)

DrGrant

One episode to multiple feeds
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:15:15 pm »
I have two podcast feeds.  Regular and Premium content.

Right now I'm able to to put one episode of our show into both feeds by filling out both boxes on the post page.  Works great.  I'm just wondering if it could be streamlined so I don't have to enter the URL twice.  Yeah, I'm lazy.  Copy and Paste is SUCH a chore! :)

What I'm thinking is a box where you'd enter the episode details and then check boxes to signify which feeds you want that episode to go into.

Am I making sense? 

LOVE this plugin!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: One episode to multiple feeds
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 04:55:19 pm »
I am somewhat confused, are you saying that you're entering the same media URL into both boxes? If I understand correctly, why would you even have a premium feed if you also offer the podcast normally? Perhaps you can re-explain?

Glad you like the plugin!

DrGrant

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »
I am somewhat confused, are you saying that you're entering the same media URL into both boxes? If I understand correctly, why would you even have a premium feed if you also offer the podcast normally? Perhaps you can re-explain?

Glad you like the plugin!

Be glad to....

There's some episodes that'd be in both feeds, so yes I was entering the Media URL into both boxes.

We release all our episodes for free on our main feed, however we've done 7 seasons of the show and only select episodes from past seasons (1-4) are available to non subscribers.

Premium content subscribers get that same content as the main feed, but get them a week earlier.  Plus they get bonus episodes only available to premium subscribers AND they have access to ALL the past episodes in the Archive.

So my goal would be for a premium subscriber who wants EVERYTHING would only have to subscribe to one feed and when they did they'd have ALL the past episodes, the exclusive episodes, plus any current ones coming out (that haven't gone into the Archive yet).

Have I done a better job?  I keep rereading it and thinking no.  :)

Grant

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:35:31 am »
I understand now, and that is very complicated. Basically you want a normal podcast channel and a premium channel, and you want the premium channel to also include the normal channel content.

I think in this case, category based podcasting rather than channel based podcasting would work better. Unfortunately, we did not develop the custom podcast channels to work with categories because of the complexity of mapping podcast channels to categories (it would get complicated very quickly).

The only problem with category podcasting is that all your episodes would appear in your main feed. This is done on purpose, in case PowerPress fails for what ever reason, your podcast episodes still get picked up by WordPress.

My only other thought is you may be better serviced making a copy of your post with separate dates since you want premium users to get the content a week before regular users. There's a plugin called Duplicate Post (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/duplicate-post/) that I use to copy posts, it may be useful for your situation.

I'm going to think about this over the next few days, there may be something we can do to simplify what you want to do but I'm not sure how easy/uncomplicated it would be.

DrGrant

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »
Thanks Angelo.

Let me ask you this, since this whole thing was about copy/pasting.  :)

Can you see any adverse effect to filling out two boxes with the same media URL in one post?  I've tried it and it seems to be working, but I'm just wondering f by doing so I'm running the risk of messing things up horribly.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:07:31 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem, each episode box is associated to a podcast channel, they will not conflict with each other.

DrGrant

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:22:54 pm »
Thanks Angelo!  Appreciate the help!