Author Topic: Invalid Content Type Error with Powerpress  (Read 3509 times)

magaman

Invalid Content Type Error with Powerpress
« on: September 07, 2009, 02:56:11 am »
THis is the first time I have seen this error "Error (http://www.xxxxx.com/xxxxx): Invalid content type returned from server."  It seems to only be with .m4v files, and I have never had this issue in the past as I've posted .m4v files in the past,  even trying to use those files as a test and it doesn't work.  .mp3 files still post and work fine, any ideas?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Invalid Content Type Error with Powerpress
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:54 am »
Yes, PowerPress is detecting text/html as the returned content type for your media. Try adding the following line to a .htaccess file in the folder where your media resides.

Code: [Select]
AddType video/x-m4v m4v
The check will be removed in the next release, but keep in mind that you still want this content type set appropriately so other clients do not have problems downloading your media.

yogirajj

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:15:39 pm »
I am having the same problem... but I don't have this .htaccess file you are talk about. I checked everywhere in my FTP root folders. I am using Godaddy service..

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:06:39 pm »
We are going to get a PowerPress update out shortly that removes the need for your server to know what content type of media your serving. Most hosting providers give you a way to update the .htaccess file or you can ask that they add it.

Not having it in can cause bigger problems aka browsers will not know how to handle the media because the content type is not being announced.

Are your accounts on shared hosting accounts? Be advised very dangerous over the long haul to serve your media from the same site your blog is on this is a recipe for disaster. All it takes is your show to get popular and the hosting provider shut you down for over taxing the server.

If your show is low volume you will probably be ok but it does not take many listeners to overload a shared hosting account.

Todd..

yogirajj

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:20:19 pm »
We are going to get a PowerPress update out shortly that removes the need for your server to know what content type of media your serving. Most hosting providers give you a way to update the .htaccess file or you can ask that they add it.

Not having it in can cause bigger problems aka browsers will not know how to handle the media because the content type is not being announced.

Are your accounts on shared hosting accounts? Be advised very dangerous over the long haul to serve your media from the same site your blog is on this is a recipe for disaster. All it takes is your show to get popular and the hosting provider shut you down for over taxing the server.

If your show is low volume you will probably be ok but it does not take many listeners to overload a shared hosting account.

Todd..

Hi Todd,

Thank you so much for your quick response. At the start of this year, my host (godaddy) has announced a new unlimited uploads and downloads package. Yes,that's right.... Unlimited!!  LOL.....

This was a blessing beyond belief.... They told me that it would really take a huge amount of bandwidth to overload the server, and if I did, they would e-mail me and advise on using a dedicated server.

Yogirajj
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:27:17 pm by yogirajj »

yogirajj

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:24:12 pm »
Yes, PowerPress is detecting text/html as the returned content type for your media. Try adding the following line to a .htaccess file in the folder where your media resides.

Code: [Select]
AddType video/x-m4v m4v
The check will be removed in the next release, but keep in mind that you still want this content type set appropriately so other clients do not have problems downloading your media.

Thank you Angelo.. I have created a new .htaccess file and put it were my podcasts are. Now it seems to have worked. But I guess I will know tomorrow (if itunes updates it or not).. Do I have to do this for the other Apple formats?? such as MOV and MP4??? Please advise..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:28:49 pm by yogirajj »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:18:54 pm »
That depends on the age of your Apache server. I believe Apache 2.0 has mov and mv4 already pre-loaded. I believe mov is even in Apache 1.3.x servers.

One way to check is to use Firefox with the HTTP Live Headers function. It is rather technical, but you can monitor all of the header lines including the "Content-type" to see if text/plain or audio/mpeg is being returned.