Author Topic: iTunes Store Artwork - Podcast Profile image vs Search results image  (Read 4117 times)

muniverse

I submitted my podcast to iTunes over 48 hours ago.

My Feed:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/mysteriousuniverse/podcast

The feed is accepted and the profile page is fine, and displaying the correct image:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=329937558

Unfortunately when searching for the podcast the search results do not display the correct image:

They actually show a PowerPress default image.

Is this due to iTunes simply being slow in scaling down all the image sizes? Or is something wrong with my feed?

I find it strange that a PowerPress logo is displaying rather than the standard Apple Podcast icon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The search results can be seen by searching for "Mysterious Universe"

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: iTunes Store Artwork - Podcast Profile image vs Search results image
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:43:50 pm »
If you submitted your podcast feed to iTunes before you uploaded your iTunes image into PowerPress then iTunes would have indexed the stock PowerPress image instead. I do see you are now using this image (http://mysteriousuniverse.org/wp-content/uploads/powerpress/itunes_600_MU2.jpg) as your iTunes image, so give iTunes a few days to cache that new image in their directory.

I just manually pinged your listing on iTunes, hopefully that accelerates the updating of your new coverart in iTunes.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:50:29 pm »
Looks like you're all set now on iTunes!

jdavidingram

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:58:57 pm »
Related question regarding the artwork - I've recently switched over to the PowerPress plugin so that I could host my podcast on my own blog. My listing in iTunes initially showed my blog name instead of the channel name (Dave Ingram's Natural History Blog instead of Discovering Nature).

I couldn't figure out a way to change the channel name in the single blog setting so activated the Custom Podcast Channel option and renamed the default channel to Discovering Nature. My blog's feed page at http://daveingram.ca/feed/podcast now looks right and pinging iTunes shows that it is pulling from that feed. However, searching iTunes for "Discovering Nature" doesn't find the channel - it's still listed as "Dave Ingram's Natural History Blog" with the default Wordpress cover art. Clicking on that link takes me to the appropriately named podcast page in iTunes with the appropriate cover art and episodes listed.

What do I need to change to make the channel name and art work look the same as the podcast listing page and artwork? Is this just a recaching issue?

Thanks,

Dave

PS - would be nice to have an option in the Advanced single channel part of the plugin to customize the name of the podcast!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:19 pm »
You need to wait for iTunes unfortunately. I've seem them take 2 weeks to a month to propagate title and cover art image changes.

We have such a request in our feature TODO list, which would allow you to change the 'slug' name found at the tail end of the default podcast feed URL. I believe this is the feature you would want as well. It is on the list but it will be a rather complicated feature to add so I can't say when or if it will be added.

You can achieve the same result by adding a rewrite rule to your web server's .htaccess file. If you are using the Permalinks feature in WordPress, try adding the following Rewrite Rule to map some other path/url to your podcast URL. This line should go directly below the "RewriteBase /" line in your .htaccess file

Code: [Select]
RewriteRule ^feed/other_name /?feed=podcast [L]

Replace other_name with the name you want to use for your feed URL.